United just ended its Premier Status Match Challenge. Why?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Grant wrote in telling us he noticed the ever-popular United MileagePlus Premier Status Challenge program had closed enrollments for 2019. A quick check of the dedicated website confirms the program has ended for this year and to “be on the lookout for a 2020 Premier Status match offer, which could be available as early as January.”
Status matches and challenges have long proven popular and most carriers operating in the U.S. do have an option to match, and usually require a challenge. You’ll have a time frame in which to earn a certain number of elite qualifying miles, segments and/or elite qualifying dollars to keep status for the remainder of the status year, and even possibly through the following status year.
Here are the requirements for the United Premier Status Match Challenge you needed to meet within 90 days of registering in order to maintain the status you were matched to — assuming you registered before Oct. 1:
This is a letdown for anyone who planned to utilize a competing airline status, match to United for the fourth quarter, complete the challenge and then carry United Premier status through 2020. My personal guess is that is the exact reason United closed the challenge. Many customers over the last few years have been hopping airlines from year to year, counting on end-of-year matches and challenges to pick their carrier for the next year or carry multiple statuses. This doesn’t bode well for long-term loyalty and we can assume some smart folks over at United looked at their elite membership count and decided they were happy with the current picture.
I would imagine the challenge will open again right at the beginning of the New Year, but I don’t recommend signing up for a challenge at that time. If you complete challenge requirements before July 1 in any given year, you’ll only keep the status for the remainder of that status year. If you complete a challenge after July 1, you’ll keep if for the remainder of the current status year and all of the following year. This means you need to sign up for and time completing a challenge on or as close to possible as July 1.
We reached out to United for comment and a spokesman told us “We are working to consolidate two previous programs — the Corporate Status Match program and the Premier Status Match program into one offer that will return in 2020.” The corporate program as far as we know has been targeted to employees of companies that do a lot of business with United, so it will be interesting to see how the public and targeted programs come together in 2020.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees