United launching nonstop 787 service from San Francisco to Dublin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The carrier is launching a new flight from SFO to Dublin, flying daily this summer with the 787-8 Dreamliner. Service will continue year-round, though it’s not yet clear how often United will fly between the two cities after the peak summer season.
For more TPG news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In addition to this latest addition, United flies from SFO to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Munich, Paris and Zurich. The new Dublin (DUB) flight is intended to connect two global tech hubs, according to United’s vice president of international network, Patrick Quayle — while flyers can continue on to other European cities, Dublin has become a key destination for business travelers, making the flight most appealing to Ireland-bound flyers.
The appeal of a Dublin nonstop to tech industry workers is key to the route’s success — United currently offers connecting service beyond DUB via Aer Lingus, but it’s unclear whether or not Ireland’s flag carrier will be able to continue its UA partnership as it becomes more closely aligned with Star Alliance’s chief competitor, Oneworld.
Beginning June 5, the new flight will operate with the following schedule:
- San Francisco (SFO) 3:55pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 9:45am (+1) arrival
- Dublin (DUB) 11:50am Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 2:20pm arrival
United will operate flights 852 and 853 with the 787-8, the carrier’s smallest Dreamliner.
Currently, the -8 offers 36 seats in business class, arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration, but, following a fleet-wide retrofit set to wrap by the end of 2020, the aircraft will sport 28 new Polaris seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, along with a 21-seat Premium Plus cabin with 2-3-2 seating, 36 Economy Plus seats and 158 coach seats, all in a 3-3-3 arrangement. This latest Dublin addition should be available to book beginning later today.
Featured image courtesy of Katie Genter / The Points Guy
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.