United launching nonstop 787 service from San Francisco to Dublin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The carrier is launching a new flight from SFO to Dublin, flying daily this summer with the 787-8 Dreamliner. Service will continue year-round, though it’s not yet clear how often United will fly between the two cities after the peak summer season.
For more TPG news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In addition to this latest addition, United flies from SFO to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Munich, Paris and Zurich. The new Dublin (DUB) flight is intended to connect two global tech hubs, according to United’s vice president of international network, Patrick Quayle — while flyers can continue on to other European cities, Dublin has become a key destination for business travelers, making the flight most appealing to Ireland-bound flyers.
The appeal of a Dublin nonstop to tech industry workers is key to the route’s success — United currently offers connecting service beyond DUB via Aer Lingus, but it’s unclear whether or not Ireland’s flag carrier will be able to continue its UA partnership as it becomes more closely aligned with Star Alliance’s chief competitor, Oneworld.
Beginning June 5, the new flight will operate with the following schedule:
- San Francisco (SFO) 3:55pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 9:45am (+1) arrival
- Dublin (DUB) 11:50am Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 2:20pm arrival
United will operate flights 852 and 853 with the 787-8, the carrier’s smallest Dreamliner.
Currently, the -8 offers 36 seats in business class, arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration, but, following a fleet-wide retrofit set to wrap by the end of 2020, the aircraft will sport 28 new Polaris seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, along with a 21-seat Premium Plus cabin with 2-3-2 seating, 36 Economy Plus seats and 158 coach seats, all in a 3-3-3 arrangement. This latest Dublin addition should be available to book beginning later today.
Featured image courtesy of Katie Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees