Effective Immediately, United Miles No Longer Expire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, how’s this for a nice surprise! As of Wednesday, United MileagePlus is discontinuing its expiration policy, just like Delta SkyMiles and JetBlue TrueBlue, United miles now never expire. Woohoo! Certainly a welcome improvement, especially considering the changes UA has in store this fall.
Previously, United miles expired after 18 months of inactivity, though it was possible to keep them active by earning or burning miles — even for items like magazine subscriptions and donations — before the expiration date. Additionally, customers with a co-branded card didn’t have to worry about miles expiring as long their card account was active.
While MileagePlus members don’t have to worry about miles expiring anymore, that isn’t the case for the majority of other programs. American AAdvantage, Alaska Mileage Plan, Southwest and other top carriers around the world have expiration policies, though it’s generally possible to extend the date — without the need to fly.
Featured photo by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.