This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, how’s this for a nice surprise! As of Wednesday, United MileagePlus is discontinuing its expiration policy, just like Delta SkyMiles and JetBlue TrueBlue, United miles now never expire. Woohoo! Certainly a welcome improvement, especially considering the changes UA has in store this fall.
Previously, United miles expired after 18 months of inactivity, though it was possible to keep them active by earning or burning miles — even for items like magazine subscriptions and donations — before the expiration date. Additionally, customers with a co-branded card didn’t have to worry about miles expiring as long their card account was active.
While MileagePlus members don’t have to worry about miles expiring anymore, that isn’t the case for the majority of other programs. American AAdvantage, Alaska Mileage Plan, Southwest and other top carriers around the world have expiration policies, though it’s generally possible to extend the date — without the need to fly.
Featured photo by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees