United Airlines temporarily adjusting inflight lavatory policy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, many airlines have restricted passengers from accessing a lavatory outside of their ticketed cabin.
Generally, crew members cite security as the reason behind that particular policy, though it also has the benefit of limiting traffic in premium cabins — business- and first-class passengers don’t have to worry about a constant flow of travelers passing by their seats. On United Airlines, that’s about to change.
As of Nov. 1, customers will be permitted to access a lavatory outside of their ticketed cabin. The move seems intended to help minimize congregating in the aisle, and, according to Sumers’ tweet, was reviewed by medical experts as part of United’s partnership with the Cleveland Clinic.
A United spokesperson confirmed the shift, explaining:
We’re continuously looking at new ways to enhance safety for everyone on board the aircraft and based on feedback from both our flight attendants and customers, we’re temporarily updating our lavatory usage policy beginning Nov. 1. The updated policy allows our flight attendants more flexibility to let customers use another lavatory during certain situations. That may include when there is a line for one lav but not another, when the service cart is in the aisle, etc. We’ll continue to ask customers to use the lavatory in their cabin via an onboard announcement, but we’ve added “when possible” to the announcement in order to reflect the increased flexibility.
United’s making it clear that this adjustment is temporary. While the airline’s statement stops short of confirming that the shift is a COVID-19 safety measure, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume a connection.
One thing is clear, though — for as long as this new policy is in effect, if there’s a long wait for the economy lavatory, it can’t hurt to ask to use the one up front, instead.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees