United boosts onboard food service with new inflight offerings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since March 2020, airlines have drastically reduced their onboard food and beverage offerings.
Whether it’s due to anti-coronavirus precautions or cash-saving measures, don’t expect to be served a full, multi-course meal when seated in a domestic premium cabin these days.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The latest update comes from Chicago-based United, according to an internal memo shared by Brian Sumers and confirmed by the carrier.
Starting on Feb. 1, United will serve a new French twist croissant sandwich on all mainline domestic first-class flights longer than 2 hours, 20 minutes.
This warm sandwich will be available on all morning departures from all seven mainland hubs, as well as select outstations, including Boston (BOS), Cleveland (CLE), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Fort Myers (RSW), Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA). The croissant will replace the current turkey monte sandwich.
Going forward, the new warm croissant will join the existing rotation of sandwiches, like tomato basil and mozzarella focaccia and carved chicken on Italian flatbread, for first-class passengers flying from the aforementioned airports. United will also continue offering snack boxes with a variety of noshes on such flights.
For flights shorter than 2 hours and 20 minutes — but longer than one hour — first-class flyers will receive an “all-in-one” snack bag with a sanitizer, water and two snacks.
Beginning Feb. 1, international business-class flyers will receive an updated pre-arrival meal. United hasn’t detailed the new entrée, but the second meal will include refreshed side offerings, such as fresh fruit, a fruit cup, muffin, croissant or roll.
All meals, including the new offerings, will continue to be served in pre-packaged, sealed containers for customers to unwrap on their own.
The only bad news from the carrier’s policy change is the removal of seasonal hot chocolate from the onboard beverage offering. The remaining drinks available onboard will include coffee, tea, sodas, juices and water. Alcoholic beverages are served complimentary in premium cabins.
American Airlines also serves sandwiches in its domestic first-class cabins. Delta, on the other hand, continues to only offer pre-packaged snack boxes, as well as water, beer and wine — no sodas or hot beverages — when flying in premium cabins.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees