United Trimming 787 Service to Sydney From Houston and LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United has confirmed that it will be reducing service from two major hubs to Sydney (SYD), impacting flights from both Houston (IAH) and Los Angeles (LAX) during the slower winter months in Australia. While the airline trimmed 787-9 Dreamliner service last summer as well, there are even more reductions for 2019.
The airline will remove a total of one US round-trip each day from March 29 through October 25. Even with the change, United will fly two daily round-trips between the US and Sydney. Houston will still have four weekly flights to Sydney, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, while Los Angeles will have nonstop service reduced to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
United released a statement explaining the change:
“As we continuously monitor the demand for travel in all of the markets we serve, we have identified periods of lower demand for travel between Sydney and our hubs in Houston and Los Angeles during the northern summer season.”
United will continue flying daily from San Francisco (SFO) year-round, and expects to return to daily service from Houston and LAX after October 25. The airline will also launch year-round flights from SFO to Melbourne (MEL), operating with the following schedule beginning October 29, 2019:
- UA60 San Francisco (SFO) 10:50pm Departure ⇒ Melbourne (MEL) 9:40am (+2) Arrival — Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
- UA61 Melbourne (MEL) 11:40am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:50am Arrival — Mondays/Thursdays/Saturdays
“This change will maintain two SYD roundtrips at all times, and will go into effect starting March 29 through October 25, when we intend to resume daily service from Houston and Los Angeles.”
Of course, this reduction in service will also free up two 787-9s, given the travel time between Australia and the United States. As the airline explained, they’ll be used to operate other flights, instead:
“These seasonal adjustments will not impact pilot staffing. From IAH, we will operate the Dreamliner on one of our daily LHR flights, while in LAX we will introduce an additional LAX-IAH flight with the 787. Also, flight attendant staffing will also remain unchanged, as we will backfill with domestic flying at both hubs.”
Naturally, fewer seats flying from the US to Australia will mean tighter competition for award seats. Passengers already booked on the canceled Houston and Los Angeles flights will likely receive an email or call from United with an option to rebook travel free of charge.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.