United Trimming 787 Service to Sydney From Houston and LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United has confirmed that it will be reducing service from two major hubs to Sydney (SYD), impacting flights from both Houston (IAH) and Los Angeles (LAX) during the slower winter months in Australia. While the airline trimmed 787-9 Dreamliner service last summer as well, there are even more reductions for 2019.
The airline will remove a total of one US round-trip each day from March 29 through October 25. Even with the change, United will fly two daily round-trips between the US and Sydney. Houston will still have four weekly flights to Sydney, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, while Los Angeles will have nonstop service reduced to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
United released a statement explaining the change:
“As we continuously monitor the demand for travel in all of the markets we serve, we have identified periods of lower demand for travel between Sydney and our hubs in Houston and Los Angeles during the northern summer season.”
United will continue flying daily from San Francisco (SFO) year-round, and expects to return to daily service from Houston and LAX after October 25. The airline will also launch year-round flights from SFO to Melbourne (MEL), operating with the following schedule beginning October 29, 2019:
- UA60 San Francisco (SFO) 10:50pm Departure ⇒ Melbourne (MEL) 9:40am (+2) Arrival — Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
- UA61 Melbourne (MEL) 11:40am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:50am Arrival — Mondays/Thursdays/Saturdays
“This change will maintain two SYD roundtrips at all times, and will go into effect starting March 29 through October 25, when we intend to resume daily service from Houston and Los Angeles.”
Of course, this reduction in service will also free up two 787-9s, given the travel time between Australia and the United States. As the airline explained, they’ll be used to operate other flights, instead:
“These seasonal adjustments will not impact pilot staffing. From IAH, we will operate the Dreamliner on one of our daily LHR flights, while in LAX we will introduce an additional LAX-IAH flight with the 787. Also, flight attendant staffing will also remain unchanged, as we will backfill with domestic flying at both hubs.”
Naturally, fewer seats flying from the US to Australia will mean tighter competition for award seats. Passengers already booked on the canceled Houston and Los Angeles flights will likely receive an email or call from United with an option to rebook travel free of charge.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees