United Dropping Los Angeles to Singapore Route, Adding Second San Francisco Frequency
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a scant eight months after launching nonstop Dreamliner flights between Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN), United’s short-lived route will soon be no more, shifting instead to a second daily frequency between San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore, according to information on Twitter provided to Brian Sumers and confirmed by TPG.
The change will take place on October 27, one year to the day from when the route was launched.
United’s existing San Francisco–Singapore route operates using the carrier’s 787-9 Dreamliner, departing SFO at 11:25 pm each night and arriving in SIN at 6:45 am two days later. According to information provided to TPG, the second daily route will depart San Francisco in the morning at 10:55am local time and arrive in Singapore at 8:15pm the next day. This timeframe is in response to customer requests to arrive into Singapore in the evening. The return flight will then depart Singapore at 10:20pm and arrive back in San Francisco at 8:55pm the same day. All the US times will be shifted one hour later for the first week of service due to Daylight Saving Time.
Angelenos will not be left high and dry though: Singapore Airlines is anticipated to step in and fill the void by adding its own LAX-SIN route. The airline already operates between SFO and Singapore utilizing an Airbus A350-900 aircraft, and has also announced the resumption of its long-anticipated nonstop service between New York/Newark (EWR) and Singapore using its new Airbus A350-900ULR. That service will commence on October 11 and will be the new longest flight in the world, covering a distance of just over 9,500 miles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees