United Dropping Los Angeles to Singapore Route, Adding Second San Francisco Frequency
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a scant eight months after launching nonstop Dreamliner flights between Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN), United’s short-lived route will soon be no more, shifting instead to a second daily frequency between San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore, according to information on Twitter provided to Brian Sumers and confirmed by TPG.
The change will take place on October 27, one year to the day from when the route was launched.
United’s existing San Francisco–Singapore route operates using the carrier’s 787-9 Dreamliner, departing SFO at 11:25 pm each night and arriving in SIN at 6:45 am two days later. According to information provided to TPG, the second daily route will depart San Francisco in the morning at 10:55am local time and arrive in Singapore at 8:15pm the next day. This timeframe is in response to customer requests to arrive into Singapore in the evening. The return flight will then depart Singapore at 10:20pm and arrive back in San Francisco at 8:55pm the same day. All the US times will be shifted one hour later for the first week of service due to Daylight Saving Time.
Angelenos will not be left high and dry though: Singapore Airlines is anticipated to step in and fill the void by adding its own LAX-SIN route. The airline already operates between SFO and Singapore utilizing an Airbus A350-900 aircraft, and has also announced the resumption of its long-anticipated nonstop service between New York/Newark (EWR) and Singapore using its new Airbus A350-900ULR. That service will commence on October 11 and will be the new longest flight in the world, covering a distance of just over 9,500 miles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.