Pulling ahead of United, Delta will become the official airline of the U.S. Olympics next year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That noise you hear is Rhapsody in Blue fading into the background.
The partnership will officially take effect next year, and Delta will begin flying competitors to the 2022 Beijing games, the airline announced Tuesday.
Delta is also a “founding partner” of the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles and will partner with LA28, which is organizing the games, on community service initiatives in the coming years.
“Delta is in the business of connecting people, and nothing brings the world together quite like the Olympic and Paralympic Games,” CEO Ed Bastian said in a statement. “The dreams and big ideas born in Los Angeles inspire us to imagine a better future. Partnering with LA28 is an investment in LA’s future and a commitment to work together to create a more connected, equitable and sustainable world.”
In the last decade, Delta has been growing its presence in Los Angeles. It now serves more than 70 destinations with more than 170 daily flights from LAX, according to the airline.
A person familiar with United’s previous sponsorship agreement told TPG that the airline had spent around $4 million per year on the current Olympic deal, which spanned four years. The new deal with Delta is reportedly worth about $400 million over the course of eight years, according to The Los Angeles Times. When the sponsorship officially begins next year, Delta is expected to unveil a special LA28 livery on one of its Airbus A350s.
For its part, United said it will remain in Team USA’s corner, even after it is no longer an official sponsor of the U.S. Olympians.
“United Airlines has enjoyed a long-standing partnership with Team USA athletes for nearly four decades and we are excited for the Tokyo games later this summer,” Maddie King, a spokeswoman for the airline said in a statement. “Even after our sponsorship ends, we look forward to cheering proudly for our athletes and their unwavering competitive spirit for years to come.”
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees