United Covers Cameras Embedded in Seatback Entertainment Systems
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines has decided to cover all cameras installed in seatback entertainment systems on the airline’s Premium Plus seats.
Cameras in inflight entertainment systems had been stirring up heated internet conversation for quite a while now. Following a viral tweet in which a passenger spotted a camera on a Singapore Airlines flight in February, some of the world’s largest carriers including American Airlines, Delta, and of course, United, have also come out and said that they too have cameras installed on some of their seatback systems. Passengers have since been expressing their concerns with privacy on social media.
United, in a statement to TPG, said that these cameras have never been activated.
“As with many other airlines, some of our premium seats have inflight entertainment systems that came with cameras installed by the manufacturer,” said a United spokesperson. “None of these cameras were ever activated and we had no plans to use them in the future, however, we took the additional step to cover the cameras. The cameras are a standard feature that manufacturers of the system included for possible future purposes such as video conferencing.”
United has put a sticker over all the camera lenses. Sri Ray, a former site reliability engineer at BuzzFeed, photographed the blocked cameras and posted it on Twitter.
American Airlines (which has had these cameras installed since at least 2017) hasn’t released any statements on whether it has covered up the cameras, but it does say it doesn’t plan on using them. “Cameras are a standard feature on many in-flight entertainment systems used by multiple airlines,” said AA spokesperson Ross Feinstein to BuzzFeed News. “Manufacturers of those systems have included cameras for possible future uses, such as hand gestures to control in-flight entertainment.”
Featured image by Zachary Hoenig / TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees