United buy-miles promotion: Get a 40% discount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with the latest promotion.
United is offering a 40% discount on mileage purchases. You can take advantage of this promotion by heading to United’s buy miles page and logging into your MileagePlus account. But before you do that, let’s take a closer look at the promotion and see if it’s a good deal.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Buying United Miles with a 40% discount
This time around, United is offering a 40% discount on all mileage purchases. This lowers the price of United miles to 2.26 cents apiece, which is still 0.96 cents per mile more than TPG’s most recent valuation. The discount is valid on all purchases of 1,000 miles or more.
To purchase miles, head to the United Airlines Buy Miles page and enter your United loyalty number and password. Just remember United’s restrictions for purchasing miles:
- You can only purchase up to 175,000 miles per account per calendar year (including bonus miles)
- Miles may take up to 48 hours to post to your account
- Purchased or gifted miles don’t count toward United elite status
This promotion expires at 11:59 p.m. CT on May 10, 2021.
Other ways to earn United miles
Also, keep in mind that United miles are some of the easiest to earn. You can earn them with a United cobranded credit card or by transferring miles from Chase Ultimate Rewards. Here are some of the best credit cards to use if you want to quickly earn United miles:
- United Explorer Card — Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card — Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months from account opening. (transfers to United at a 1 to 1 ratio)
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card — Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. (transfers to United at a 1 to 1 ratio)
When should you consider buying United miles?
You should only purchase miles through this promotion if you have already found a flight you’d like to book with open award space. That said, this isn’t the best deal we’ve seen for United miles. Last year the airline offered a 100% bonus to targeted customers. We recommend waiting until a better deal rolls around unless you need to book an award ticket now.
However, if you’re ineligible for a welcome bonus and have an immediate need for United miles, you may find that you can travel for cheaper by buying miles. TPG currently values United miles at 1.3 cents each — that’s significantly lower than the price you’ll pay with this sale, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad deal in all cases.
For example, you can book a round-trip ticket from Newark (EWR) to London (LHR) in United Polaris business class for 120,000 United miles on most dates with saver award space. A business-class seat on this route usually costs around $3,500 round-trip on United, but if you were to buy 120,000 miles with this promotion, you’d spend $2,709. This gives you a savings of just over $790 when purchasing miles.
Use a travel credit card for your purchase
Note that when you buy United miles, you’re actually making a purchase with Points.com. Transactions through this merchant don’t code as travel, so you won’t earn bonus points with most cards. However, some United cobranded credit cards — such as the United Explorer Card — earned 2 miles per dollar in TPG tests.
You should also consider The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points per dollar on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year; then 1 point per dollar, terms apply) or the Chase Freedom Unlimited, with 1.5% cashback — which you can also transfer to an Ultimate Rewards-earning card, effectively earning 1.5 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per dollar.
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski, Victoria Walker and JT Genter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees