United’s Newark-Cape Town nonstop to return for 2020-21 season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sunday night, United Airlines Flight 1122 departed Newark Liberty International Airport bound for Cape Town, marking the first time United Airlines has operated service to South Africa. It’s also the first time any carrier has flown nonstop between North America and Cape Town, so naturally it’s been a cause for celebration for leisure and business travelers in the New York City area and beyond.
Now, United’s vice president of international network, Patrick Quayle, has confirmed that the route has been such a success that it’ll return for the 2020-21 season as well, running from late 2020 through March 2021, with a possible launch as early as November.
Currently, the flight operates with the below schedule, though it’s likely United will increase the frequency for next year’s northern winter season.
- Newark (EWR) 8:30pm Departure → Cape Town (CPT) 6:00pm (+1) Arrival (Wed, Fri, Sun)
- Cape Town (CPT) 8:50pm Departure → Newark (EWR) 5:45am (+1) Arrival (Mon, Thu, Sat)
United is currently working to finalize next year’s schedule, so it isn’t possible to book a flight just yet. Still, for anyone hoping to travel to the Mother City next year, you can rest assured that you’ll be able to fly nonstop from the U.S. with United.
Featured photo of performers participating in a traditional South African dance at United’s Newark-Cape Town inaugural by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.