United Airlines Doubles Down on Hong Kong With Second San Francisco Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will double the number of flights it offers between Hong Kong and San Francisco this October, when it launches a second flight on the route.
Starting Oct. 26, the Star Alliance carrier will add a late-evening departure from both Hong Kong and San Francisco. The flight will complement United’s long-standing midday departures, the company announced today.
With the additional frequency, United will operate both of its San Francisco-Hong Kong flights with Boeing 777-200 aircraft that seat up to 276 passengers. This represents a nearly 58% increase in the number seats that the carrier offers in the market as compared to its current once-daily offering on 350-seat 777-300ER jets.
United is boosting its international options from San Francisco this year. The airline added new service to Amsterdam in March and will add Melbourne, Australia, in October and New Delhi in December.
The airline is scheduled to grow international capacity in San Francisco by 7.7% in 2019, according to Diio by Cirium data. It plans to grow system capacity by 4-5% this year.
The company opened its largest Polaris Lounge for international premium class passengers at San Francisco airport last November.
United, which also serves Hong Kong from Chicago O’Hare, Guam and Newark, competes with Cathay Pacific Airways and Singapore Airlines on the San Francisco route.
The airline has served the Hong Kong-San Francisco route since acquiring Pan Am’s Pacific assets in 1986.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees