United Airlines Doubles Down on Hong Kong With Second San Francisco Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will double the number of flights it offers between Hong Kong and San Francisco this October, when it launches a second flight on the route.
Starting Oct. 26, the Star Alliance carrier will add a late-evening departure from both Hong Kong and San Francisco. The flight will complement United’s long-standing midday departures, the company announced today.
With the additional frequency, United will operate both of its San Francisco-Hong Kong flights with Boeing 777-200 aircraft that seat up to 276 passengers. This represents a nearly 58% increase in the number seats that the carrier offers in the market as compared to its current once-daily offering on 350-seat 777-300ER jets.
United is boosting its international options from San Francisco this year. The airline added new service to Amsterdam in March and will add Melbourne, Australia, in October and New Delhi in December.
The airline is scheduled to grow international capacity in San Francisco by 7.7% in 2019, according to Diio by Cirium data. It plans to grow system capacity by 4-5% this year.
The company opened its largest Polaris Lounge for international premium class passengers at San Francisco airport last November.
United, which also serves Hong Kong from Chicago O’Hare, Guam and Newark, competes with Cathay Pacific Airways and Singapore Airlines on the San Francisco route.
The airline has served the Hong Kong-San Francisco route since acquiring Pan Am’s Pacific assets in 1986.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees