United Airlines Doubles Down on Hong Kong With Second San Francisco Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will double the number of flights it offers between Hong Kong and San Francisco this October, when it launches a second flight on the route.
Starting Oct. 26, the Star Alliance carrier will add a late-evening departure from both Hong Kong and San Francisco. The flight will complement United’s long-standing midday departures, the company announced today.
With the additional frequency, United will operate both of its San Francisco-Hong Kong flights with Boeing 777-200 aircraft that seat up to 276 passengers. This represents a nearly 58% increase in the number seats that the carrier offers in the market as compared to its current once-daily offering on 350-seat 777-300ER jets.
United is boosting its international options from San Francisco this year. The airline added new service to Amsterdam in March and will add Melbourne, Australia, in October and New Delhi in December.
The airline is scheduled to grow international capacity in San Francisco by 7.7% in 2019, according to Diio by Cirium data. It plans to grow system capacity by 4-5% this year.
The company opened its largest Polaris Lounge for international premium class passengers at San Francisco airport last November.
United, which also serves Hong Kong from Chicago O’Hare, Guam and Newark, competes with Cathay Pacific Airways and Singapore Airlines on the San Francisco route.
The airline has served the Hong Kong-San Francisco route since acquiring Pan Am’s Pacific assets in 1986.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.