United Airlines adds Cheyenne and Tallahassee to map amid growing regional connections
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines flyers will be able to land in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Tallahassee, Florida, come November as the carrier continues to add regional connections during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Chicago-based carrier will add a daily between Denver (DEN) and Cheyenne (CYS) on Nov. 11, and Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and Tallahassee (TLH) on Nov. 18, according to Cirium schedules. Both routes will be flown by affiliate SkyWest Airlines with 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 jets.
Flyers can buy tickets on the Denver-Cheyenne route for as low as $42 one-way, according to United’s website.
The new regional connections join five other routes that SkyWest will add under the United Express brand this fall. All of the additions buoy United’s hubs in Denver and Houston.
The adds come even as United plans to be at the most half the size it was at the end of 2019 by December. The pullback comes amid the stalled recovery in air travel due to COVID-19.
While many routes in United’s global network remain suspended, the airline is expanding where it sees travelers wanting to fly. This includes 17 new routes that bypass its hubs between Midwestern and Northeastern cities and Florida this winter.
“We expect the recovery in demand we’ll see to be jagged,” United CEO Scott Kirby said on July 22. He added that the airline does not expect air travel to recover beyond about half of 2019 levels until a vaccine is widely available, something he hopes for by the end of 2021.
The new Cheyenne flight is subsidized under the federal government’s essential air service (EAS) program. SkyWest previously served the city from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) for American Airlines but appears to be switching the service to United.
United has served the Wyoming capital before, connecting Cheyenne and Denver into the early 2000s. In addition, Continental Airlines flew the Houston-Tallahassee route prior to its merger with United in 2010.
Featured image courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees