UNICEF and its partner airlines team up to ensure global vaccine distribution
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the world rallies to put an end to the pandemic, UNICEF has launched the most ambitious operation in the humanitarian agency’s history to ensure all low- and lower-income countries have access to COVID-19 vaccines.
TPG has teamed up with UNICEF to help in its humanitarian efforts, too.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
UNICEF has partnered with a number of airlines to deliver at least 2 billion doses of the vaccines to these nations by the end of 2021.
“We will not end the pandemic anywhere unless we end it everywhere,” said Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, World Health Organization (WHO) director general, in a press release by UNICEF.
Dr Richard Hatchett, CEO of CEPI, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, added: “It is crucial that the vaccines we have developed are shared globally, as a matter of the greatest urgency, to reduce the prevalence of disease, slow down viral mutation, and bring the pandemic to an end.”
Operation #EndThePandemic is the largest immunization project in history. But ensuring the vaccines are distributed not just equitably but safely requires great coordination, and UNICEF’s airline partners have stepped up to make a difference.
Emirates SkyCargo donated one of its jets to deliver 600,000 vaccines to Ghana in late February.
Air France-KLM provided one of its planes to deliver 102,000 doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to Rwanda. Qatar Airways Cargo has shipped close to 20 million vaccines to 24 countries.
In addition, UNICEF sent 100,000 syringes and 1,000 safety boxes for COVID-19 vaccinations to the Maldives by air freight. UNICEF expects it will supply up to one billion syringes this year.
The COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access, or COVAX, is a global initiative working with governments and manufacturers to ensure COVID-19 vaccines are available worldwide to both higher-income and lower-income countries.
For more information on UNICEF’s efforts to help combat the pandemic and how you can help, visit, UNICEFUSA.org.
Featured photo courtesy of UNICEF.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees