UK Tourists Died From E. Coli Exposure at a Hotel in Egypt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An English couple on vacation in Egypt died in August from illnesses linked to E. coli bacteria while staying at the Red Sea resort of Hurghada, Egypt’s Prosecutor Nabil Sadek confirmed Wednesday.
On Aug. 21, John and Susan Cooper died within hours of each other after staying at the five-star Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel, which they had booked through the travel agency Thomas Cook Group Plc. Following the Coopers’ deaths, the travel company hired an independent hygiene specialist and air quality specialist to conduct a series of tests at the hotel. The group promptly flew out the remaining 300 guests who had booked stays through the agency after the food tests and hygiene standards revealed high levels of E. Coli and staphylococcus bacteria, Bloomberg reports.
Autopsy reports showed that John Cooper, 69, suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by E. coli, and Susan Cooper, 64, suffered Hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), likely because of E. coli, Sadek said in a statement.
The autopsies also showed “no criminal violence” was involved in the deaths, and other tests found no toxic gas emissions or leaks in the couple’s room, the statement said. Additionally, air and water tests came back normal. An initial medical examination of John Cooper showed he had suffered acute circulatory collapse and a sudden cardiac arrest. Officials also said Susan Cooper was later rushed to hospital after fainting and underwent resuscitation attempts for 30 minutes before she died.
Thomas Cook noted Sadek’s announcement but did not release an immediate comment. The agency said it had not seen the full report and needed time for its own experts to review it. The group said in a previous statement that it is putting together a compensation package for all customers who became ill while staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada during August.
Featured image of the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel by MOHAMED EL-SHAHED/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees