This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 11,000 passengers at UK airports were accidentally not processed by immigration check points due to “misdirection” between 2013 and 2017, a new report from UK officials shows.
Officials said misdirection occurs when airport workers open the wrong doors at the arrival gate or when passengers are simply sent to the wrong place.
A Freedom of Information request filed by the BBC shows the numbers of passengers that mistakenly bypassed the border patrol checks totaled 2,394, 2,665 and 2,278 in 2013, 2014 and 2015 respectively. The report also shows that from 2016 to 2017, the amount of misdirected passengers jumped 70% from 1,364 people to 2,328.
According to the BBC, the UK government was able to identify all the individuals and carry out the immigration processing. The total number of passengers who bypassed border patrol is a relatively small portion of passengers arriving in the UK each year.
Government officials further stated that no potentially dangerous individuals were part of the thousands that missed the border check.
The UK government is considering passing a fee that would charge both airlines and airport workers up to £50,000 (about $66,730) for misdirecting passengers past border patrol. “We are determined to eradicate these errors and believe a civil penalty is a vital tool in ensuring this happens,” a government spokesperson told the BBC.
Featured image by Prisma Bildagentur/UIG via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees