Thousands of Passengers Miss Border Controls at UK Airports Due to Misdirections
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 11,000 passengers at UK airports were accidentally not processed by immigration check points due to “misdirection” between 2013 and 2017, a new report from UK officials shows.
Officials said misdirection occurs when airport workers open the wrong doors at the arrival gate or when passengers are simply sent to the wrong place.
A Freedom of Information request filed by the BBC shows the numbers of passengers that mistakenly bypassed the border patrol checks totaled 2,394, 2,665 and 2,278 in 2013, 2014 and 2015 respectively. The report also shows that from 2016 to 2017, the amount of misdirected passengers jumped 70% from 1,364 people to 2,328.
According to the BBC, the UK government was able to identify all the individuals and carry out the immigration processing. The total number of passengers who bypassed border patrol is a relatively small portion of passengers arriving in the UK each year.
Government officials further stated that no potentially dangerous individuals were part of the thousands that missed the border check.
The UK government is considering passing a fee that would charge both airlines and airport workers up to £50,000 (about $66,730) for misdirecting passengers past border patrol. “We are determined to eradicate these errors and believe a civil penalty is a vital tool in ensuring this happens,” a government spokesperson told the BBC.
Featured image by Prisma Bildagentur/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees