Uber Suspends Service in Barcelona Following Taxi Driver Protests
Rideshare companies such as Uber and Cabify are pulling service from Barcelona after the Catalan government passed new restrictions on wait-times.
Following outrage and a massive strike by Barcelona taxi drivers who were concerned that their businesses were being undermined by the ridesharing services, the city ruled that ridesharing services could only pick up passengers after a 15-minute delay from the time they were booked.
“The obligation to wait 15 minutes to travel in a VTC does not exist anywhere in Europe and is totally incompatible with the immediacy of on-demand services, such as UberX,” said Uber in an email to TPG. A “VTC” is a Vehículos de Turismo con Conductor — or a type of driver (such as Uber and other ridesharing companies) in Spain that are granted special licenses by local authorities.
According to Reuters, Cabify, which has 1 million users in Barcelona, said in a statement it regretted that the city had “given in to the demands of the taxi sector, seriously hurting citizen’s interests.” Cabify also claimed the suspension of rideshare services could risk the loss of 3,000 jobs in Barcelona.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.