Uber and Carshare Service Getaround Expand Partnership
If you’re interested in making some extra cash as an Uber driver but don’t own a car there’s good news: Getaround — a carsharing service — has announced they are expanding their partnership with rideshare giant Uber.
The program, which launched in 2017 in San Francisco, allows Uber drivers to use “peer-to-peer” vehicles on the platform to provide Uber rides. For Uber drivers, there is a flat fee of $5 per hour to use the vehicle to pick up and transport passengers for Uber. There are no upfront fees, subscriptions or limits on the duration of vehicle use. Drivers still have to clear Uber’s standard on-boarding and clearance process before they are allowed to pick up passengers.
After the successful pilot program, the partnership has now expanded, according to Getaround and Uber. The platform is already up and running for customers in Los Angeles and San Diego; Philadelphia and Washington DC are being added soon.
If you’re looking to make cash letting Uber drivers use your car on the platform, there are a few things to keep in mind. Getaround cars used by Uber drivers on average have seen an increase of 50% in mileage logged. So while that equals more cash in your pocket, it also comes with more upkeep and maintenance costs for your vehicle.
As the sharing economy continues to grow, this is surely just the latest in what will be new partnerships and new companies changing the way we get from point A to point B and beyond in our daily lives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.