This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re interested in making some extra cash as an Uber driver but don’t own a car there’s good news: Getaround — a carsharing service — has announced they are expanding their partnership with rideshare giant Uber.
The program, which launched in 2017 in San Francisco, allows Uber drivers to use “peer-to-peer” vehicles on the platform to provide Uber rides. For Uber drivers, there is a flat fee of $5 per hour to use the vehicle to pick up and transport passengers for Uber. There are no upfront fees, subscriptions or limits on the duration of vehicle use. Drivers still have to clear Uber’s standard on-boarding and clearance process before they are allowed to pick up passengers.
After the successful pilot program, the partnership has now expanded, according to Getaround and Uber. The platform is already up and running for customers in Los Angeles and San Diego; Philadelphia and Washington DC are being added soon.
If you’re looking to make cash letting Uber drivers use your car on the platform, there are a few things to keep in mind. Getaround cars used by Uber drivers on average have seen an increase of 50% in mileage logged. So while that equals more cash in your pocket, it also comes with more upkeep and maintenance costs for your vehicle.
As the sharing economy continues to grow, this is surely just the latest in what will be new partnerships and new companies changing the way we get from point A to point B and beyond in our daily lives.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees