Uber and Carshare Service Getaround Expand Partnership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re interested in making some extra cash as an Uber driver but don’t own a car there’s good news: Getaround — a carsharing service — has announced they are expanding their partnership with rideshare giant Uber.
The program, which launched in 2017 in San Francisco, allows Uber drivers to use “peer-to-peer” vehicles on the platform to provide Uber rides. For Uber drivers, there is a flat fee of $5 per hour to use the vehicle to pick up and transport passengers for Uber. There are no upfront fees, subscriptions or limits on the duration of vehicle use. Drivers still have to clear Uber’s standard on-boarding and clearance process before they are allowed to pick up passengers.
After the successful pilot program, the partnership has now expanded, according to Getaround and Uber. The platform is already up and running for customers in Los Angeles and San Diego; Philadelphia and Washington DC are being added soon.
If you’re looking to make cash letting Uber drivers use your car on the platform, there are a few things to keep in mind. Getaround cars used by Uber drivers on average have seen an increase of 50% in mileage logged. So while that equals more cash in your pocket, it also comes with more upkeep and maintenance costs for your vehicle.
As the sharing economy continues to grow, this is surely just the latest in what will be new partnerships and new companies changing the way we get from point A to point B and beyond in our daily lives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees