Uber Enters The Rental Car Industry With Getaround
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sharing technology continues to evolve: Uber and fellow share-technology startup Getaround teamed up Wednesday to launch Uber Rent, a peer-to-peer car-sharing option within the Uber app designed for consumers who want to drive themselves.
Uber Rent will pilot in San Francisco, where Uber users can select from a variety of rentable vehicles, from low-emission sedans to SUVs. Customers can sign up for Getaround directly through the Uber app by uploading their driver’s licenses, which will also allow them to reserve and unlock cars.
“Our mission is to empower people to carshare everywhere, and we’re making that possible by providing more people with access to car-sharing through the apps they already use,” said Sam Zaid, founder and CEO of Getaround. “Most of a person’s transportation needs can be met by coupling ride-sharing for quick trips with car-sharing for trips with multiple stops or longer getaways. It’s the perfect combination for people who have chosen to live car-free.”
Uber and Getaround worked closely together to design the app experience and integrate their technology for a seamless customer experience, building on a previous partnership from May 2017 that allowed people without cars to rent Getaround vehicles to drive for Uber.
San Francisco is a natural choice for the tech company partnership, given that both Uber and Getaround are headquartered in the city. However, Uber did not give a concrete timeline for the new launch, simply saying that San Francisco residents will “soon” be given access – within a couple of weeks, according to The San Francisco Chronicle.
Getaround allows users in major US metropolitan areas to rent cars by the hour or by the day, with insurance and 24/7 roadside assistance included, while avoiding traditional rental car pick-up counters. Although Getaround has a user app of its own, Uber has far greater market penetration, which most likely will bring a lot more attention to the car-sharing company.
Tech media publication Engadget speculates that the Getaround-Uber partnership will entice even more local residents to offer up their vehicles for rent, adding to Getaround’s existing available fleet of nearly 3,000 cars in the area, ranging from Priuses to Teslas to outdoors-worthy SUVs. However, Getaround has stiff competition in the Bay Area car-sharing market, while Uber Rent will have to compete against established services such as Zipcar.
The University of California Berkeley Transportation Sustainability Research Center has conducted several studies measuring the environmental sustainability impact of car-sharing. The data showed that, for every one car shared, around 10 are taken off the road, and for every 1,000 cars shared, up to 50 million pounds of carbon dioxide are offset.
The Uber Rent news follows closely on the heels of yesterday’s announcement for a newly designed Uber driver app, as the ride-share pioneer continues its quest to distance itself from past mistakes.
Featured image by studioEAST/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees