Uber Unveils $260 Million Plan to Help All London Drivers Get Electric Cars by 2025
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ridesharing giant Uber unveiled a plan on Tuesday to raise $260 million (about £200 million) in order to get all of its drivers in London operating electric cars by 2025.
The effort is to help combat air pollution in the British capital, which is also a major initiative by London Mayor Sadiq Khan. Uber plans to help fund its new initiative by charging all London riders a 15p surcharge per mile as a “clean air fee.” One penny of every 15p charge will go toward incentives for drivers to make the switch to electric vehicles, Uber says.
The app-based car company will give drivers on its platforms lump sums toward buying an electric car based on the number of miles they’ve driven with Uber. “A driver using the app for an average of 40 hours per week could expect around £3,000 of support towards an EV in two years’ time and £4,500 in three years,” Uber’s statement explained. Using this method, the tech firm predicts that 20,000 of its London-based drivers will have made the switch to electric cars by 2021.
“Our £200 million Clean Air Plan is a long-term investment in the future of London aimed at going all electric in the capital in 2025. Over time, it’s our goal to help people replace their car with their phone by offering a range of mobility options — whether cars, bikes, scooters or public transport — all in the Uber app,” Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said in the statement.
As mayor, Khan has added daily taxes for the city’s drivers of older vehicles that have higher rates of pollution. The British government is planning to completely ban sales of gasoline- and diesel-run cars by 2040.
Uber’s more than 40,000 drivers in London, as well as UK cities Birmingham and Nottingham, were recently striking due to poor work conditions and low pay. The company’s operations were just re-instated in London by city officials over the summer, after having been banned due to Uber flouting some city regulations.
Featured image by Ali Balikci/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees