United Airlines makes it much easier to use up travel credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Are you swimming in United Airlines Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs)? You’re certainly not alone. As coronavirus began leading airlines and travelers to cancel flights back in March, a number of carriers made every attempt to hold onto cash. Some insisted customers accept future travel credits instead of full refunds, even if that’s ultimately what flyers were entitled to.
Fortunately, United has just made it much easier to redeem your ETCs, whenever you’re ready to fly again. For years, certificate holders have been able to apply just one ETC per passenger, though recently it has been possible to call United’s reservations team to have ETCs combined — you could have three $100 certificates rolled into one to book a single $300 flight, for example, rather than redeeming them for one flight each.
Now, the airline has eliminated the need to reach out to a call center. Effective immediately, you can redeem multiple ETCs online. I was able to pair five together to book a flight, and still had the option to add more. You’ll add them under the “Travel certificates” tab on the payment page, just as before. You can also redeem multiple travel certificates when booking through United’s mobile apps.
United has added the ability for customers to redeem ETCs for seat purchases, too, including Economy Plus — when you add a seat assignment during the booking process, the travel certificate will cover the entire amount, including any seat reservation fees.
Unfortunately United’s ETCs can only be redeemed for United or United Express flights, even if they were originally issued for canceled partner travel. You do have more time to use them, though. While ETCs previously expired just one year from the issue date, the airline doubled the deadline during the pandemic, giving flyers a full two years to redeem their certificates. And, since they only need to be redeemed by that date and can be applied to future flights, you’ll have an extra 11 months to travel on them, too.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees