Melbourne, Florida, is getting its first long-haul flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Orlando’s third airport, Melbourne, on the Atlantic coast of Florida, is getting its first international scheduled flights. Leisure carrier TUI Airways has announced that it will switch its Orlando operations from Sanford (SFB) to Melbourne (MLB) from 2022.
These two airports may not be as familiar to some passengers as the city’s main Orlando International Airport (MCO), which is used by most international carriers like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Norwegian. However, Sanford serves a number of UK destinations, all on TUI:
- Birmingham (BHX)
- Bristol (BRS)
- Doncaster/Sheffield (DSA)
- Edinburgh (EDI)
- Glasgow (GLA)
- London Gatwick (LGW)
- Manchester (MAN)
- Newcastle upon Tyne (NCL)
Sanford is around 28 miles north of downtown Orlando, while Melbourne is about 70 miles from town, on the east side of the city. Orlando’s popular theme parks are located just west of the city, close to Orlando International Airport.
Melbourne airport was awarded Florida’s 2019 “Commercial Service Airport of the Year”, despite only serving a handful of domestic destinations. Year-round services are limited to Atlanta (ATL) with Delta and Charlotte (CLT) with American. In 2018, the airport handled 500,000 passengers, versus 45 million at Orlando International and 3 million at Sanford.
Melbourne Airport is hoping to grow its passenger numbers considerably and is investing in the airport passenger experience. MLB Executive Director Greg Donovan explained, “TUI’s proven product combined with MLB’s exceptional concierge services will make for an unprecedented customer experience for U.K. holidaymakers traveling to Florida. With more than $100 million of investment into MLB’s airport facilities over the last few years, and much more on the way, MLB will be practically the newest and most modern airport in Florida”.
While the airport is still a considerable distance from theme parks, TUI is promoting the fact that Melbourne Airport is right on the coast, which is convenient for those heading to the beach, as well as being closer to popular destinations in the South of Florida, such as Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Miami is, however, 180 miles from the MLB airport.
Featured photo courtesy of Orlando Melbourne Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.