TSA Finds Record-Breaking Number of Guns at Airports in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration has found a record-breaking number of firearms in carryon bags in 2018. At airports across the US, security officers found more than 4,000 guns that passengers tried to bring onto planes throughout the year, according to a CBS report.
This year’s numbers even top 2017, a year in which the number of guns discovered at security checkpoints climbed 17%.
Out of the 4,000 guns found in carryon luggage, 300 of them were found at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport alone. In fact, according to CBS’ analysis of the data, only 10 airports were responsible for a third of all the firearm incidents. Gun laws tend to be looser in the states where these airports are, CBS said. Many of the passengers involved in the incidents seemed to have accidentally brought the firearm through security, ostensibly forgetting their gun was in the bag.
Police documents obtained in a Freedom of Information Act request by CBS also showed at least three incidents where TSA officers missed a gun in a carryon bag, only detecting the firearm on the passenger’s flight back home.
“It happens because the technology doesn’t get everything all the time,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said. “Either there’s a technology issue, there’s a procedural issue, or there’s a training issue. I’m troubled by that, too. I think that everybody in TSA is troubled by it and mistakes happen…And I can’t give you an answer as to how often it happens. But when it does happen, we do everything we can to figure out why it happened.”
According to TSA guidelines, passengers may only transport unloaded firearms in locked, hard-sided containers in checked baggage. Flyers must also declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking the bag.
Air passengers who do bring guns through the airport security checkpoint can be arrested on criminal weapons charges and levied a civil fine of up to $13,000. But, most people are not charged nearly that amount. The TSA says a first offender usually is charged a fine of $3,900, but CBS found that number is typically closer to $1,100. Even so, the TSA made a hefty profit from gun fines last year: The agency collected $1.45 million in firearm charges in 2017.
Featured image by John Moore/Getty Image.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees