This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan is currently facing an outbreak of rubella, with more than 900 cases reported in the last six weeks. A total of 1,289 cases of the disease have been reported in Japan this year. The number of rubella outbreaks reported is staggeringly high compared to last year’s count of just 93. Cities in the Kanto region, like Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama, have seen the most cases.
The CDC announced that travelers not vaccinated against rubella, especially pregnant women, should avoid travel to Japan during the outbreak. Travelers should confirm with their doctor that they’ve received the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine before flying to Japan.
Rubella is particularly dangerous for a pregnant woman and her developing baby. Birth defects such as deafness, cataracts (blurred vision), heart defects, mental disabilities and organ damage can all be side effects of the virus for the unborn child. Women who contract rubella early in the pregnancy can experience a miscarriage or stillbirth.
Rubella is spread by the coughs and sneezes of those infected with the disease. Symptoms include rash and a fever that can last from 2-3 days.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees