Traveling to Japan? Make Sure You Have a Rubella Vaccine.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan is currently facing an outbreak of rubella, with more than 900 cases reported in the last six weeks. A total of 1,289 cases of the disease have been reported in Japan this year. The number of rubella outbreaks reported is staggeringly high compared to last year’s count of just 93. Cities in the Kanto region, like Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama, have seen the most cases.
The CDC announced that travelers not vaccinated against rubella, especially pregnant women, should avoid travel to Japan during the outbreak. Travelers should confirm with their doctor that they’ve received the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine before flying to Japan.
Rubella is particularly dangerous for a pregnant woman and her developing baby. Birth defects such as deafness, cataracts (blurred vision), heart defects, mental disabilities and organ damage can all be side effects of the virus for the unborn child. Women who contract rubella early in the pregnancy can experience a miscarriage or stillbirth.
Rubella is spread by the coughs and sneezes of those infected with the disease. Symptoms include rash and a fever that can last from 2-3 days.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees