Transportation Secretary Buttigieg wants cruising to resume by mid-summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg joined White House spokesperson Jen Psaki today in the White House briefing room for the first time since he joined the Biden Administration. He took questions on the massive new infrastructure plans being pushed by the Biden Administration and other travel issues.
He was asked about the resumption of cruises, and said, “The CDC is hopeful that a lot of these operators will be able to be sailing by mid-summer. We want to do this as soon as we responsibly can but we want to be safe.” It comes one day after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he was suing the CDC, demanding the immediate resumption of cruising from Florida.
“The bottom line is safety,” Buttigieg said, “I can’t wait for us all to be on the move as much as possible, but it’s gotta be safe and responsible”
Buttigieg will help the White House push for the American Jobs Plan that will, if passed, spend some two trillion dollars on infrastructure and green energy.
He said, “Infrastructure is the foundation that allows people to live and work well. I’m thrilled to be in this role.”
Buttigieg also said, “There’s been a lot of talk at this moment about what infrastructure is and isn’t,” Buttigieg says. “I would argue that infrastructure is the foundation that makes it possible for people to live and work well.”
Buttigieg also weighed in on train travel, and talked about the $80 billion that will support both maintenance and the development of new routes. Later in the briefing, Buttigieg said America is behind when it comes to trains. “I’m not content that a Chinese citizen should have better access to train travel than Americans,” he said.
Related: Bullet trains in America?
When asked for a timeline on high-speed rail, Buttigieg said there was a lot of work to do. “We need to add a lot to what we’ve already got. We can build new routes.”
He was also asked about the controversial high-speed rail project in California that is currently over budget and behind schedule. He said there would likely be funding for that project, but that, “I think it’s important to recognize, that different parts of the country can benefit from high-speed rail. This is about lifting our game as a country.”
Buttigieg said roads, bridges and trains would all benefit from the Biden Administration plans, and that “We’re looking for shovel-ready projects, but also shovel-worthy projects.
He said, “When you see the countries doing more than we are… America’s not in first place in infrastructure, we’re 13th. There’s no good reason why we should settle for less.”
Featured photo by Stefani Reynolds/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees