A Tourist Was Kidnapped in Plain Sight at Bangkok Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
She was abducted in the middle of the secure area of the 20th busiest airport in the world.
Shortly after 39-year-old Jincai Chen deplaned from her flight from Hong Kong (HKG) to Bangkok (BKK) on the evening of May 6, a group of four Chinese men and one Thai woman all dressed in black grabbed her arms and walked her through the security checkpoint.
On the other side of airport security near the baggage carousel, two additional men in black joined in the kidnapping operation. The group forced Chen out of the airport and held her for a 15 million baht ransom ($460,000) for 11 days, shuffling her from hotel room to hotel room across Thailand.
The kidnapping took place in full view of the airport’s CCTV cameras.
Police say the gang of seven who abducted Chen in BKK’s secure terminal had help from at least 10 additional people — including a senior sergeant major on the airport’s immigration police force.
The kidnapping crew sent ransom letters to Chen’s husband, who ended up paying the abductors 10 million baht ($311,000) for the safe return of his wife. When the group wanted an additional 5 million baht ($150,000), Chen’s husband refused to pay and contacted the authorities. Thai police were able to use the airport’s CCTV footage to track the suspects to hotels in Bangkok, Pattaya and Rayong.
Police said that once the authorities became involved, it “put pressure on the gang, who then released the victim,” Major Gen. Surachate Hakparn, who is leading the investigation, said. “She has testified about the crime and we will also receive her husband’s statements. We will pursue the gang and attempt to reclaim the money they paid.”
The gang dumped Chen on the side of a road in Bangkok on May 19 around 11:00pm.
Authorities have filed arrest warrants for the members of the kidnapping gang, but say several of the suspects have already fled Thailand.
H/T: The New York Post
Featured image by The New York Post.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees