This Tiny Hotel Room Is Smaller Than a Prison Cell
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Stylish, compact capsule hotels are on the rise. But one hotel in London is making even airplane seats look downright palatial.
The UK-based product testing website London and, to the Internet’s delight,recently went undercover at the budget in
How much would you pay for a night in one of the UK’s tiniest hotel rooms? pic.twitter.com/RRCHaJhJPw
— Which? (@WhichUK) November 12, 2018
The room in question was marketed as a “Single Room” priced at £55.00 (about $71) during the high season and £30.00 ($39) during the low season. According to Which?, the bedroom measured just 32 square feet, making it smaller than an actual prison cell. For reference, thesays prison cells must be a minimum of 70 square feet, with 35 square feet reserved for open floor space.
Which? was quick to point out in their report that this bedroom (filled wall to wall with a narrow bed and a single window that opens into the stairwell), is even less spacious than a standard parking space. Including the bathroom, which brings the total square footage to 53 square feet, the entire room is only about the size of Singapore’s new 50-square-foot A380 first class suite.
Sure, you get what you pay for, and this hotel room — especially by London standards — is dirt cheap. And guests probably won’t want to spend too much time in the hotel anyway, as the Corbigoe Hotel is located just south of the Westminster neighborhood (home to Big Ben and Buckingham Palace). For serious budget travelers, having a $39 hotel room with an en suite bathroom in the heart of London may be hard to beat: even if you can probably wash your hands while sitting on the toilet.
Fortunately, the hotel does offer other rooms, which are notably larger. Plus, all room rates include complimentary breakfast, and guests receive a discounted parking rate (another valuable amenity when you’re close to downtown). That way, if you need to stretch out, you can always do so in a parking spot.
And whether you enjoy your stay or not, “I slept in a hotel room smaller than a prison cell” is quite the party conversation icebreaker.
Photo courtesy of the Corbigoe Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.