This Ultra-Low-Cost Carrier Has New Routes to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you are a penny-pinching traveler, you now have a new budget option to fly in the US.
Swoop, the new ultra-low-cost carrier from Canada, announced its first destinations in the American market on Thursday. The airline is planning seven new routes in the US to five different airports beginning this fall.
As of October 11, Swoop will serve Las Vegas (LAS), and by the end of October, it will operate routes from Canada to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO), Phoenix-Mesa (AZA) and Tampa (TPA).
The new routes are as follows:
Las Vegas-Abbotsford, British Columbia: 3 flights a week (Monday, Thursday, Sunday) beginning Oct. 11
Las Vegas-Hamilton, Ontario: 4 flights a week (Monday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday) beginning Oct. 26
Las Vegas-Edmonton: 11 flights a week (daily) beginning Oct. 11
Phoenix/Mesa, Arizona-Edmonton: 2 flights a week (Wednesday, Saturday) beginning Oct. 27
Fort Lauderdale-Hamilton, Ontario: 2 flights a week (Friday, Saturday) beginning Oct. 26
Orlando-Hamilton, Ontario: 3 flights a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday) beginning Oct. 17
Tampa-Hamilton, Ontario: 3 flights a week (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday) beginning Oct. 20
Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit Airlines currently corner the ultra-low-cost market in the US. The ULCC model offers super low base fares, but charges for everything else, from seat selection to water and overhead bin space. But Swoop sees more potential to grow the bare-bones model in America — a model that has been growing in popularity and one that mainstream carriers have been emulating with the explosion of basic economy.
“Swoop’s success in the Canadian ULCC space combined with the evident success of ULCCs in the U.S. affirms that North American travelers are ready for an airline to open up the border to ultra-low-cost air travel,” Steven Greenway, Swoop’s president, says in a statement.
If you’ve never heard of Swoop, that wouldn’t be a surprise. It just started flying in June and is a subsidiary of low-cost carrier, and Canada’s second largest airline, WestJet. Swoop serves five Canadian destinations (Abbotsford, Edmonton, Halifax, Hamilton and Winnipeg), and flies a fleet of six Boeing 737s. As it expands its route network, the carrier will add three more of the narrow-bodies by October, with four more coming by 2019.
Swoop has alluded to the fact that when it gets its fleet up to 10 aircraft, it could possibly further expand into the US or Caribbean.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image by DuKai photographer / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees