This Southwest App Tells You If Your Bag Fits in the Overhead Bin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest just launched a cool new bag-sizing feature within its app, and TPG decided to test it out. Unlike its KLM counterpart, the bag sizer is available for any interested traveler, even without a booked flight.
The feature is accessible from the app’s main menu button at the top left of the app screen. “Bag Sizer” is located toward the bottom of the menu underneath all the urgent information for booked reservations.
There’s a very straightforward tutorial, similar to the ones offered by KLM and Kayak. You first scan the floor, then the bag so the app can assess the approximate size.
As with any good app, Southwest politely asks for camera access before launching the virtual sizer.
As with the last two virtual bag sizers TPG tested, we opted to test an AWAY carry-on suitcase, which is known to fit carry-on guidelines on virtually any carrier.
There’s a playful disclaimer reminding travelers that Southwest employees are the final arbiters of carryon bag size – not the virtual app.
This was the most effective virtual screener I’ve tested yet – this one had no issue picking up on the suitcase’s accurate size, and with relative speed, too.
Just a few seconds in, the bag was scanned and the
Magical Sorting Hat Southwest app had made its sizing determination.
All in all, this was my favorite virtual bag-measuring feature yet. The system is quick, easy to use, and very intuitive and the functionality makes a lot of sense. Furthermore, I don’t fly KLM often or utilize Kayak enough to justify keeping either app on my phone just for the sizing tool, whereas I use Southwest at least once a month on average. I’ll definitely keep this function in my back pocket – literally – for my next trip.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees