This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest just launched a cool new bag-sizing feature within its app, and TPG decided to test it out. Unlike its KLM counterpart, the bag sizer is available for any interested traveler, even without a booked flight.
The feature is accessible from the app’s main menu button at the top left of the app screen. “Bag Sizer” is located toward the bottom of the menu underneath all the urgent information for booked reservations.
There’s a very straightforward tutorial, similar to the ones offered by KLM and Kayak. You first scan the floor, then the bag so the app can assess the approximate size.
As with any good app, Southwest politely asks for camera access before launching the virtual sizer.
As with the last two virtual bag sizers TPG tested, we opted to test an AWAY carry-on suitcase, which is known to fit carry-on guidelines on virtually any carrier.
There’s a playful disclaimer reminding travelers that Southwest employees are the final arbiters of carryon bag size – not the virtual app.
This was the most effective virtual screener I’ve tested yet – this one had no issue picking up on the suitcase’s accurate size, and with relative speed, too.
Just a few seconds in, the bag was scanned and the
Magical Sorting Hat Southwest app had made its sizing determination.
All in all, this was my favorite virtual bag-measuring feature yet. The system is quick, easy to use, and very intuitive and the functionality makes a lot of sense. Furthermore, I don’t fly KLM often or utilize Kayak enough to justify keeping either app on my phone just for the sizing tool, whereas I use Southwest at least once a month on average. I’ll definitely keep this function in my back pocket – literally – for my next trip.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees