This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest just launched a cool new bag-sizing feature within its app, and TPG decided to test it out. Unlike its KLM counterpart, the bag sizer is available for any interested traveler, even without a booked flight.
The feature is accessible from the app’s main menu button at the top left of the app screen. “Bag Sizer” is located toward the bottom of the menu underneath all the urgent information for booked reservations.
There’s a very straightforward tutorial, similar to the ones offered by KLM and Kayak. You first scan the floor, then the bag so the app can assess the approximate size.
As with any good app, Southwest politely asks for camera access before launching the virtual sizer.
As with the last two virtual bag sizers TPG tested, we opted to test an AWAY carry-on suitcase, which is known to fit carry-on guidelines on virtually any carrier.
There’s a playful disclaimer reminding travelers that Southwest employees are the final arbiters of carryon bag size – not the virtual app.
This was the most effective virtual screener I’ve tested yet – this one had no issue picking up on the suitcase’s accurate size, and with relative speed, too.
Just a few seconds in, the bag was scanned and the
Magical Sorting Hat Southwest app had made its sizing determination.
All in all, this was my favorite virtual bag-measuring feature yet. The system is quick, easy to use, and very intuitive and the functionality makes a lot of sense. Furthermore, I don’t fly KLM often or utilize Kayak enough to justify keeping either app on my phone just for the sizing tool, whereas I use Southwest at least once a month on average. I’ll definitely keep this function in my back pocket – literally – for my next trip.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards