This Southwest App Tells You If Your Bag Fits in the Overhead Bin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest just launched a cool new bag-sizing feature within its app, and TPG decided to test it out. Unlike its KLM counterpart, the bag sizer is available for any interested traveler, even without a booked flight.
The feature is accessible from the app’s main menu button at the top left of the app screen. “Bag Sizer” is located toward the bottom of the menu underneath all the urgent information for booked reservations.
There’s a very straightforward tutorial, similar to the ones offered by KLM and Kayak. You first scan the floor, then the bag so the app can assess the approximate size.
As with any good app, Southwest politely asks for camera access before launching the virtual sizer.
As with the last two virtual bag sizers TPG tested, we opted to test an AWAY carry-on suitcase, which is known to fit carry-on guidelines on virtually any carrier.
There’s a playful disclaimer reminding travelers that Southwest employees are the final arbiters of carryon bag size – not the virtual app.
This was the most effective virtual screener I’ve tested yet – this one had no issue picking up on the suitcase’s accurate size, and with relative speed, too.
Just a few seconds in, the bag was scanned and the
Magical Sorting Hat Southwest app had made its sizing determination.
All in all, this was my favorite virtual bag-measuring feature yet. The system is quick, easy to use, and very intuitive and the functionality makes a lot of sense. Furthermore, I don’t fly KLM often or utilize Kayak enough to justify keeping either app on my phone just for the sizing tool, whereas I use Southwest at least once a month on average. I’ll definitely keep this function in my back pocket – literally – for my next trip.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.