This New Google Maps Feature Tells You How Crowded Your Train Will Be
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tired of your crowded commute? Well, we have news for you. While you might not be able to avoid a stuffy train ride, you now can at least know how stuffy that ride will be in advanced. Thanks to a new Google Maps feature launching Thursday, July 4, you can now see how jammed your train, bus or subway will be prior to boarding.
Mashable reported that the new feature, which is available to both iOS and Android users, will operate in 200 cities and 46 metro areas in the US around the world such as New York, Los Angeles, Portland and more. The feature is going to be added into transit directions and will let users know how likely they are to be sitting or standing on their upcoming ride.
In order to create this feature, Google Maps first tested it in Sydney, Australia, and compiled data from user reports during peak (6am to 10am) commute times from all over the world. Also, here’s a fun little tidbit of information — the results of that study showed that one of the most crowded transit lines is New York’s L train. Who else isn’t surprised?
Featured image by shaun via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.