This New Google Maps Feature Tells You How Crowded Your Train Will Be
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tired of your crowded commute? Well, we have news for you. While you might not be able to avoid a stuffy train ride, you now can at least know how stuffy that ride will be in advanced. Thanks to a new Google Maps feature launching Thursday, July 4, you can now see how jammed your train, bus or subway will be prior to boarding.
Mashable reported that the new feature, which is available to both iOS and Android users, will operate in 200 cities and 46 metro areas in the US around the world such as New York, Los Angeles, Portland and more. The feature is going to be added into transit directions and will let users know how likely they are to be sitting or standing on their upcoming ride.
In order to create this feature, Google Maps first tested it in Sydney, Australia, and compiled data from user reports during peak (6am to 10am) commute times from all over the world. Also, here’s a fun little tidbit of information — the results of that study showed that one of the most crowded transit lines is New York’s L train. Who else isn’t surprised?
Featured image by shaun via Getty Images.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee