This New Google Maps Feature Tells You How Crowded Your Train Will Be
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tired of your crowded commute? Well, we have news for you. While you might not be able to avoid a stuffy train ride, you now can at least know how stuffy that ride will be in advanced. Thanks to a new Google Maps feature launching Thursday, July 4, you can now see how jammed your train, bus or subway will be prior to boarding.
Mashable reported that the new feature, which is available to both iOS and Android users, will operate in 200 cities and 46 metro areas in the US around the world such as New York, Los Angeles, Portland and more. The feature is going to be added into transit directions and will let users know how likely they are to be sitting or standing on their upcoming ride.
In order to create this feature, Google Maps first tested it in Sydney, Australia, and compiled data from user reports during peak (6am to 10am) commute times from all over the world. Also, here’s a fun little tidbit of information — the results of that study showed that one of the most crowded transit lines is New York’s L train. Who else isn’t surprised?
Featured image by shaun via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee