This New Google Maps Feature Tells You How Crowded Your Train Will Be
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tired of your crowded commute? Well, we have news for you. While you might not be able to avoid a stuffy train ride, you now can at least know how stuffy that ride will be in advanced. Thanks to a new Google Maps feature launching Thursday, July 4, you can now see how jammed your train, bus or subway will be prior to boarding.
Mashable reported that the new feature, which is available to both iOS and Android users, will operate in 200 cities and 46 metro areas in the US around the world such as New York, Los Angeles, Portland and more. The feature is going to be added into transit directions and will let users know how likely they are to be sitting or standing on their upcoming ride.
In order to create this feature, Google Maps first tested it in Sydney, Australia, and compiled data from user reports during peak (6am to 10am) commute times from all over the world. Also, here’s a fun little tidbit of information — the results of that study showed that one of the most crowded transit lines is New York’s L train. Who else isn’t surprised?
Featured image by shaun via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.