This Middle Eastern Nation Now Has the World’s Most Powerful Passport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a last-minute surprise for 2018, the United Arab Emirates has snagged the title of most powerful passport in the world from usual contenders Singapore, Germany and Japan.
Since the UAE was granted visa-free access of Mexico, Liberia and Sierra Leone, its ranking on the Passport Index has taken the No. 1 spot with visa-free access to a record-breaking 167 countries — about 84% of the world. Runner-ups Singapore and Germany are tied for second place with visa-free access to 166 countries, and Japan, which was named the most powerful passport in Oct. 2018 by the Henley Passport Index, is ranked No. 4 with access to 164 nations visa-free.
Using data collected from public information, government resources and international bodies, the Passport Index determines its rankings and scores by measuring passports among the United Nations’ 193 countries and six regions. In a release, the index described the UAE’s rise to the top spot as “meteoric.” It jumped from No. 27 to No. 1 between 2016 and 2018. Originally, the UAE set its sights on reaching the top 5 most powerful passports by 2021. So, the nation exceeded its own expectations by at least three years.
“This achievement is a true reflection of the legacy of Sheikh Zayed, the Founding Father of the UAE,” said H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, minister of foreign affairs and international cooperation. “It also underscores what can be achieved through positive diplomacy, reflecting the UAE as a confident and engaged force at the global stage.”
Featured image by Mathias Fengler / EyeEm via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees