This Couple’s Dog Chewed a Passport and Ruined Their Honeymoon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You might be able to get away with the excuse of your dog eating your homework, but when it comes to your passport—you won’t be so lucky.
That’s what one newlywed couple discovered after they had already flown 16 hours to Bali. Daniel and Tia Farthing were traveling for their honeymoon from the UK to Bali with a layover in Singapore. The couple made it through Singapore seamlessly, but were denied entry into Bali because their dog chewed up the corner of Daniel’s passport.
UK border officials reportedly told Daniel that his passport would allow him to be admitted to the Indonesian vacation hotspot, but Indonesian border patrol said the passport was in unacceptable condition. Officials in Bali sent the couple back to Singapore where Daniel was detained for seven hours, given no communication with his wife and locked in a room with 30 other people.
Indonesia does not have passport damage regulations easily available online. For American travelers, US passport books specify that they aren’t to be altered or mutilated in any way. The US also sets the following guidelines for damaged passports:
“U.S. passports that are damaged or in poor condition must be replaced, as they are no longer valid for travel. For security reasons, damaged passports may be retained by the Passport Unit. Please be aware that your damaged U.S. passport is not proof of citizenship or identity.”
The UK says that a little passport “wear and tear” is fine and defines damage as any of the following:
- Details are indecipherable
- The laminate has lifted enough to allow the possibility of photo substitution
- Discolouration to the bio-data page
- Chemical or ink spillage on any page
- Missing or detached pages
- The chip or antenna shows through the end paper on the back cover for the new style e-passports
- The chip has been identified as damaged after investigation
The newlyweds told The Mirror they had spent £5,000 for their honeymoon.
“We got married last year and planned our honeymoon for our first anniversary,” the couple told The Mirror. “We’d booked an elephant safari, a villa and pool. It was going to be so special.”
Since they did not get to take their trip, Tia’s sister set up a GoFundMe page to help them cover their lost expenses. The fundraising page has raised more than $1,400 in just two weeks. Tia’s sister wrote on the page that the couple had spent the entire year saving for this trip.
“Bali is not a cheap holiday,” she wrote. “And the worst part is the insurance won’t pay out a single penny, so they have lost thousands of pounds.”
The couple’s 4-year-old black lab-collie mix, Milo, had actually chewed the corner of the passport four years ago, and Daniel never had any problems traveling with it until this trip.
If you’re prone to misplacing or mistreating your belongings, TPG recommends getting a passport wallet to help keep it in good condition.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees