This Asian Airline Plans to Open a Fast Food Restaurant Serving Its Inflight Menu
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This might be a first. AirAsia’s CEO is planning to open a fast food restaurant featuring the Malaysian airline’s onboard menu.
“Our food is fantastic,” said Tony Fernandes, Air Asia Group’s CEO, on Larry King Now last Friday. “We believe in it so much that we’re going to start a fast-food restaurant out of it. It’s called Santan.”
Santan, which translates to ‘coconut milk’ in Malay, is the name AirAsia’s inflight menu.
The food choices stem from data the airlines collected from around 400 million passengers, featuring a variety of dishes ranging from local favorites such as chicken tikka masala with garlic naan, spiral pasta with chicken sausage, Bukhara chicken biryani and plenty more.
TPG contributor Richard Kerr, who flew AirAsia back in 2015, enjoyed his inflight meal (which was the now-discontinued nasi lemak, a Malaysian dish of spicy chicken served with coconut rice) and said that while his inflight meal of the Malaysian national dish didn’t earn any points on presentation, he “was happily surprised by its taste,” and he was “impressed by AirAsia X’s extensive in-flight menu.”
While it’s most likely the Santan eatery will open in its home country of Malaysia first, further details on when this restaurant will be opening or where have not yet been released. TPG did not receive a response to a request for comment from AirAsia, but according to Skift, an AirAsia spokesperson said that there will be an announcement about it soon.
Featured image by MOHD RASFAN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees