This Asian Airline Plans to Open a Fast Food Restaurant Serving Its Inflight Menu
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This might be a first. AirAsia’s CEO is planning to open a fast food restaurant featuring the Malaysian airline’s onboard menu.
“Our food is fantastic,” said Tony Fernandes, Air Asia Group’s CEO, on Larry King Now last Friday. “We believe in it so much that we’re going to start a fast-food restaurant out of it. It’s called Santan.”
Santan, which translates to ‘coconut milk’ in Malay, is the name AirAsia’s inflight menu.
The food choices stem from data the airlines collected from around 400 million passengers, featuring a variety of dishes ranging from local favorites such as chicken tikka masala with garlic naan, spiral pasta with chicken sausage, Bukhara chicken biryani and plenty more.
TPG contributor Richard Kerr, who flew AirAsia back in 2015, enjoyed his inflight meal (which was the now-discontinued nasi lemak, a Malaysian dish of spicy chicken served with coconut rice) and said that while his inflight meal of the Malaysian national dish didn’t earn any points on presentation, he “was happily surprised by its taste,” and he was “impressed by AirAsia X’s extensive in-flight menu.”
While it’s most likely the Santan eatery will open in its home country of Malaysia first, further details on when this restaurant will be opening or where have not yet been released. TPG did not receive a response to a request for comment from AirAsia, but according to Skift, an AirAsia spokesperson said that there will be an announcement about it soon.
Featured image by MOHD RASFAN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.