Thieves Steal $800,000 in Jewelry From Aspen Hotel Lobby in Broad Daylight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Three men walked into the lobby of the Little Nell Hotel in Aspen, Colorado, this past Friday and walked out shortly thereafter with $800,000 in jewelry. In what can only be described as audacious, reports are that the men didn’t even bother with masks.
The three men all appeared to enter the hotel separately but met up at a display case in the lobby. The suspects allegedly took $800,000 worth of jewelry from the case, walked out and left the scene in a rental car. It’s unclear whether the suspects flew from Aspen airport or ended up driving to Denver, but they were eventually spotted after the theft at Denver International Airport.
The Aspen police circulated photos of the three suspects at Denver International Airport taken in the days after the theft. At least two of the pictures show the suspects standing in front of an American Airlines gate area boarding sign. American Airlines serves Denver from Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas Ft. Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia and Phoenix. There do not appear to be any reports of where the suspects were headed.
The missing jewelry is the property of Piranesi, a jeweler based in New York City, who has had a display case in the Little Nell Hotel for approximately 20 years. There are no reports as to why the display case with almost $1 million worth of jewelry wasn’t secured with an alarm or how the suspects apparently were able to open the case easily and escape the hotel without anyone noticing.
Aspen is a very affluent area, popular amongst wealthy individuals and celebrities in both the winter and warmer months. Opened in 1989, the Little Nell Hotel is a Five-Star, Five Diamond hotel that sits near an old mining shaft named after a lady of the night. While the hotel is sold out for New Year’s Eve, you can snag a room for December 29th for $10,730. Rooms drop to between $1,200 and $4,000 in January, and less than $1,000 per night in June.
Photo by Malcolm Linton/Liaison
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees