The Top 10 Life Changing Decisions People Make While Vacationing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling means time spent indulging in new experiences, meeting new people and sometimes making some life-changing decisions. When it comes to vacationing, there’s something about escaping the stresses of work and other daily nuisances that gives people the headspace to sit back and revaluate their lives. According to a study by Jetcost, the most common life-changing decisions inspired by vacations that Americans make are getting divorced and quitting a job.
The study surveyed 4,490 Americans and asked them questions about decisions that they had made while away on vacation and the impact these decisions had made on their lives. More than half of those surveyed revealed making a life-altering decision on vacation. 77% of the participants considered life-changing decisions while abroad, while 26% stated that their lives had changed as a result of decisions they made on vacation, according to the study.
Of those that said they made a life altering decision while away, 31% of people said they decided to get a divorce, 18% resolved to quit a job and 15% decided to experiment with their sexuality.
Here are the top ten life-changing decisions Americans made on vacations:
1. Get a divorce
2. Quit a job
3. Sexually experiment
4. Get in shape
5. Have children
6. Move house
7. Start a business
8. Pursue a dream (e.g. writing, singing, etc.)
9. Have an affair
10. Get a pet
“In the rat race of everyday life, it can be really hard to get the chance to think about the big choices hanging over us,” A Jetcost spokesperson said. “Making changes takes effort and consideration; though these are often the big things that affect how much satisfaction we get out of our lives, they are surprisingly easy to ignore. Vacations offer a welcome break for us to assess our situation and goals in life, so it’s no wonder that we get a little reflective. If this time helps us get where we want to be, then it’s time well spent.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.