The Top 10 Life Changing Decisions People Make While Vacationing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling means time spent indulging in new experiences, meeting new people and sometimes making some life-changing decisions. When it comes to vacationing, there’s something about escaping the stresses of work and other daily nuisances that gives people the headspace to sit back and revaluate their lives. According to a study by Jetcost, the most common life-changing decisions inspired by vacations that Americans make are getting divorced and quitting a job.
The study surveyed 4,490 Americans and asked them questions about decisions that they had made while away on vacation and the impact these decisions had made on their lives. More than half of those surveyed revealed making a life-altering decision on vacation. 77% of the participants considered life-changing decisions while abroad, while 26% stated that their lives had changed as a result of decisions they made on vacation, according to the study.
Of those that said they made a life altering decision while away, 31% of people said they decided to get a divorce, 18% resolved to quit a job and 15% decided to experiment with their sexuality.
Here are the top ten life-changing decisions Americans made on vacations:
1. Get a divorce
2. Quit a job
3. Sexually experiment
4. Get in shape
5. Have children
6. Move house
7. Start a business
8. Pursue a dream (e.g. writing, singing, etc.)
9. Have an affair
10. Get a pet
“In the rat race of everyday life, it can be really hard to get the chance to think about the big choices hanging over us,” A Jetcost spokesperson said. “Making changes takes effort and consideration; though these are often the big things that affect how much satisfaction we get out of our lives, they are surprisingly easy to ignore. Vacations offer a welcome break for us to assess our situation and goals in life, so it’s no wonder that we get a little reflective. If this time helps us get where we want to be, then it’s time well spent.”
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees