The Top 10 Life Changing Decisions People Make While Vacationing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling means time spent indulging in new experiences, meeting new people and sometimes making some life-changing decisions. When it comes to vacationing, there’s something about escaping the stresses of work and other daily nuisances that gives people the headspace to sit back and revaluate their lives. According to a study by Jetcost, the most common life-changing decisions inspired by vacations that Americans make are getting divorced and quitting a job.
The study surveyed 4,490 Americans and asked them questions about decisions that they had made while away on vacation and the impact these decisions had made on their lives. More than half of those surveyed revealed making a life-altering decision on vacation. 77% of the participants considered life-changing decisions while abroad, while 26% stated that their lives had changed as a result of decisions they made on vacation, according to the study.
Of those that said they made a life altering decision while away, 31% of people said they decided to get a divorce, 18% resolved to quit a job and 15% decided to experiment with their sexuality.
Here are the top ten life-changing decisions Americans made on vacations:
1. Get a divorce
2. Quit a job
3. Sexually experiment
4. Get in shape
5. Have children
6. Move house
7. Start a business
8. Pursue a dream (e.g. writing, singing, etc.)
9. Have an affair
10. Get a pet
“In the rat race of everyday life, it can be really hard to get the chance to think about the big choices hanging over us,” A Jetcost spokesperson said. “Making changes takes effort and consideration; though these are often the big things that affect how much satisfaction we get out of our lives, they are surprisingly easy to ignore. Vacations offer a welcome break for us to assess our situation and goals in life, so it’s no wonder that we get a little reflective. If this time helps us get where we want to be, then it’s time well spent.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.