This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling means time spent indulging in new experiences, meeting new people and sometimes making some life-changing decisions. When it comes to vacationing, there’s something about escaping the stresses of work and other daily nuisances that gives people the headspace to sit back and revaluate their lives. According to a study by Jetcost, the most common life-changing decisions inspired by vacations that Americans make are getting divorced and quitting a job.
The study surveyed 4,490 Americans and asked them questions about decisions that they had made while away on vacation and the impact these decisions had made on their lives. More than half of those surveyed revealed making a life-altering decision on vacation. 77% of the participants considered life-changing decisions while abroad, while 26% stated that their lives had changed as a result of decisions they made on vacation, according to the study.
Of those that said they made a life altering decision while away, 31% of people said they decided to get a divorce, 18% resolved to quit a job and 15% decided to experiment with their sexuality.
Here are the top ten life-changing decisions Americans made on vacations:
1. Get a divorce
2. Quit a job
3. Sexually experiment
4. Get in shape
5. Have children
6. Move house
7. Start a business
8. Pursue a dream (e.g. writing, singing, etc.)
9. Have an affair
10. Get a pet
“In the rat race of everyday life, it can be really hard to get the chance to think about the big choices hanging over us,” A Jetcost spokesperson said. “Making changes takes effort and consideration; though these are often the big things that affect how much satisfaction we get out of our lives, they are surprisingly easy to ignore. Vacations offer a welcome break for us to assess our situation and goals in life, so it’s no wonder that we get a little reflective. If this time helps us get where we want to be, then it’s time well spent.”
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees