This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling means time spent indulging in new experiences, meeting new people and sometimes making some life-changing decisions. When it comes to vacationing, there’s something about escaping the stresses of work and other daily nuisances that gives people the headspace to sit back and revaluate their lives. According to a study by Jetcost, the most common life-changing decisions inspired by vacations that Americans make are getting divorced and quitting a job.
The study surveyed 4,490 Americans and asked them questions about decisions that they had made while away on vacation and the impact these decisions had made on their lives. More than half of those surveyed revealed making a life-altering decision on vacation. 77% of the participants considered life-changing decisions while abroad, while 26% stated that their lives had changed as a result of decisions they made on vacation, according to the study.
Of those that said they made a life altering decision while away, 31% of people said they decided to get a divorce, 18% resolved to quit a job and 15% decided to experiment with their sexuality.
Here are the top ten life-changing decisions Americans made on vacations:
1. Get a divorce
2. Quit a job
3. Sexually experiment
4. Get in shape
5. Have children
6. Move house
7. Start a business
8. Pursue a dream (e.g. writing, singing, etc.)
9. Have an affair
10. Get a pet
“In the rat race of everyday life, it can be really hard to get the chance to think about the big choices hanging over us,” A Jetcost spokesperson said. “Making changes takes effort and consideration; though these are often the big things that affect how much satisfaction we get out of our lives, they are surprisingly easy to ignore. Vacations offer a welcome break for us to assess our situation and goals in life, so it’s no wonder that we get a little reflective. If this time helps us get where we want to be, then it’s time well spent.”
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees