The Vatican’s Holy Stairs Now Uncovered for a Limited Time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Vatican’s Holy Stairs have been covered by planks of wood for more than 300 years. Now, for roughly the next seven weeks, visitors will be able to walk directly on the marble steps where Jesus is said to have walked on his way to his crucifixion.
Just in time for Easter, the steps will be uncovered and exposed thanks to an extensive restoration project. The stairs have been worn down during centuries of kneeling and walking atop them, which is why Pope Innocent XIII decided to protect the important site with wood planks in 1723.
Scala Sancta — the Latin name for the Holy Stairs — are allegedly the exact steps that Jesus walked on leading up to his judgement by Pontius Pilate and later crucifixion. The stairs were said to have been brought from Jerusalem as per the request of Emperor Constantine’s Mother, Helen, in the fourth century, although there is no verifiable proof. According to CNN Travel, Father Francesco Guerra, Rector of the Holy Stairs, said that, “The Gospel of John recounts that Jesus went up these stairs several times.”
It’s even said that his blood dripped onto the steps as marked by medieval crosses, where visitors stop to pay their respects by kissing and touching the crosses.
After experiencing the steps both covered and uncovered by the wood planks, one pilgrim told the Associated Foreign Press that the experience was “much more moving now” without the wood barrier. “If you think about the fact that Jesus was here, and where he was held and where he suffered, it’s very emotional,” the pilgrim recounted.
The stairs, located across from the Basilica of St. John Lateran, will be exposed through June 9, so if you happen to find yourself in Rome between now and then, you can experience the Holy Stairs for yourself. There’s no telling when or if the marble will be uncovered again.
This article has been updated to clarify where the Holy Stairs are located.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Photo by Franco Origlia/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees