The Future of Flight: Boeing Reveals Concept Aircraft With ‘Transonic’ Wing Design
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to design a more fuel efficient and aerodynamic aircraft, Boeing has unveiled a new concept jet that looks reminiscent of aircraft from a bygone era.
The Transonic Truss-Braced Wing (TTBW) concept is a new iteration of an idea originally conceived in 2010, and Boeing researchers say it will now fly higher and faster than previous TTBW models.
As part of the Subsonic Ultra Green Aircraft Research program, Boeing and NASA researchers have been working together for the last decade to design a more fuel efficient aircraft.
The speed at which it would reach its best fuel efficiency is Mach .80, which is around 528 mph at cruising altitude. For comparison, a Boeing 787’s cruising speed is Mach .85, which is approximately 561 mph.
The aircraft’s ultra-thin wings are supported by a truss, bringing to mind bi-plane models from the early days of aviation or even more modern Cessna piston engined aircraft. The wings themselves are key to the concept’s fuel efficiency — Boeing said its modified the wing sweep of the aircraft making the truss carry lift more efficiently.
Boeing thinks the aircraft will be 8% more fuel efficient than traditional cantilevered wing jets, Aviation Week reports.
The wingspan itself measures in at 170 feet, while the smallest Dreamliner, the -8 model, has a wingspan of 197 feet. However, the wings should be able to fold (similar to the new 777x), just past where the the truss connects to the wing — therefore allowing it to use airport gates that designed for narrowbody aircraft, like the Boeing 737 and Airbus A320.
It’s more likely we’ll see the return of supersonic aircraft before the TTBW flies, as it’s not expected to be enter service until 2035.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
This article has been edited with more accurate speed figures.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees