These Hotels Have the World’s First Self-Cleaning Rooms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve seen hotels with fingerprinting technology in lieu of key cards and robots that deliver room service, but now two boutique hotels in Copenhagen have become the world’s first with self-cleaning rooms.
Hotel Ottilia, in Copenhagen’s old Carlsberg brewery, and the industrial-chic Hotel Herman K are the latest properties from Brøchner Hotels, the brand that brought the boutique hotel trend to Denmark’s capital when it debuted Hotel SP34. And while Brøchner has become known for its sleek Scandinavian design and trendy restaurants and bars, it’s innovating even more with its eco-friendly cleaning technology.
Brøchner has partnered with ACT.Global to disinfect the rooms in Hotel Ottilia and Hotel Herman K with ACT CleanCoat, a sustainable long-term disinfectant. The invisible, odorless cleaning solution actively eliminates microbes such as ebola, E. coli, viruses, mold spores and allergens. It purifies the air for up to a year, removing noxious odors including cigarette smoke. CleanCoat’s main ingredient is titanium dioxide, which is also found in sunscreen, and it’s activated by sunlight.
The product has passed more than 24 European norm tests and been recognized by many labs and research organizations, including Denmark’s National Research Centre for the Working Environment.
“The technology is expensive, but we’ve reduced the labor load by 50 percent. It’s giving our staff a much easier day and reducing our water consumption,” Karim Nielsen, CEO of Brøchner Hotels, told Bloomberg, estimating that each room costs approximately $2,500 to cover with CleanCoat.
Brøchner has been testing this technology for about two years already, first trying it out in their Hotel Astoria, where it reduced the microbial level to below what is required in hospital operating rooms while simultaneously increasing the air quality and reducing water consumption.
But don’t worry, the implementation of CleanCoat doesn’t completely replace housekeeping staff. Housekeepers still tidy up the rooms and change the sheets and towels — they just don’t have to use harsh chemicals like bleach anymore.
Featured image of Hotel Ottilia courtesy of Brøchner Hotels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees