The First Luxury Space Hotel Plans on Opening in 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Recreational space travel is starting to become more of a reality. On the heels of Virgin Galactic successfully flying its first passenger rocket since 2014, we have another exciting announcement for those who want to travel to space.
Orion Span has announced that it will build the world’s first luxury space hotel.
Announced at the Space 2.0 summit in San Jose, California, the Aurora Station plans on launching into space in 2021 and opening to guests in 2022. That’s an ambitious goal.
The modular space station will be able to host four people at a time in addition to two crewmembers. Trips will last 12 days. What makes it a “luxury” hotel is a bit of a mystery though, maybe it’s the high price tag.
What’ll it cost you to spend a week and a half in low earth orbit? A cool $9.5 million. But hey, it’s all inclusive, you won’t even have to pay for food!
You can reserve a spot to be on the waitlist for the 12-day journey aboard Aurora Station; you’ll just have to put down an $80,000 deposit.
Aurora will circumnavigate the earth every 90 minutes, allowing travelers to see an average of 16 sunrises and sunsets every 24 hours — all while in zero gravity. During their stay, they can take part in research experiments like growing food in space or stare out the window and watch the dancing lights of the aurora borealis.
Because the space station is designed as modular system, Orion Span says that when there’s enough demand, they’ll launch another pod that can be attached to Aurora’s radial hub. The initial structure will feature two “private suites.”
“Orion Span has additionally taken what was historically a 24-month training regimen to prepare travelers to visit a space station and streamlined it to three months, at a fraction of the cost,” Burger said. The three months of training includes an online portion and then in-person at Orion Span’s training facility in Houston, Texas.
The company plans on selling dedicated condos in space adding that “future Aurora owners can live in, visit, or sublease their space condo.” Space agencies can charter out Aurora for research purposes, too.
Private rockets operated by Blue Origin or Elon Musk’s SpaceX will ferry the aspiring astronauts into space.
Orion Span’s Chief Technology Officer David Jarvis and Chief Architect Frank Eichstadt both have experience working on the International Space Station.
Featured image by Orion Span / Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees