Teen Ordered to Pay $37 Million for Starting Wildfire in Oregon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A teen from Vancouver, Washington, who started a major wildfire in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon has been ordered to pay restitution over the next decade in the amount of $37 million.
In order to cover the costs of firefighting, repair and restoration to the tourist area of the gorge and damages to local homes, a judge ordered the teen to pay $36,618,330.24, according to The Oregonian. The judge acknowledged that the teen would likely never pay the sum in full. Victims of the wildfire included Union Pacific Railroad, Oregon Department of Transportation, US Forest Service as well as a number of other entities. State law allows Oregon to garnishee the teen’s bank accounts or paychecks. Oregon is also allowed to take the teen’s winnings if he wins the lottery; the state can also collect his refunds on tax returns.
In court, the 15-year-old pleaded guilty to reckless burning of public and private property as well as other charges including throwing two fireworks in Eagle Creek Canyon. The resulting wildfire burned 75 square miles of forest, hiking trails, a major interstate highway and devastated an outdoor tourist attraction.
The judge said that the teen can set up a payment plan to chip away at the $37 million fine; payments can be halted after 10 years as long as he complies, completes probation and doesn’t commit other crimes. The teen was sentenced to community service and probation. Additionally, he was ordered to write 152 letters of apology to those affected by the fire.
Featured image by Wolfgang Kaehler/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees