Teen Ordered to Pay $37 Million for Starting Wildfire in Oregon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A teen from Vancouver, Washington, who started a major wildfire in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon has been ordered to pay restitution over the next decade in the amount of $37 million.
In order to cover the costs of firefighting, repair and restoration to the tourist area of the gorge and damages to local homes, a judge ordered the teen to pay $36,618,330.24, according to The Oregonian. The judge acknowledged that the teen would likely never pay the sum in full. Victims of the wildfire included Union Pacific Railroad, Oregon Department of Transportation, US Forest Service as well as a number of other entities. State law allows Oregon to garnishee the teen’s bank accounts or paychecks. Oregon is also allowed to take the teen’s winnings if he wins the lottery; the state can also collect his refunds on tax returns.
In court, the 15-year-old pleaded guilty to reckless burning of public and private property as well as other charges including throwing two fireworks in Eagle Creek Canyon. The resulting wildfire burned 75 square miles of forest, hiking trails, a major interstate highway and devastated an outdoor tourist attraction.
The judge said that the teen can set up a payment plan to chip away at the $37 million fine; payments can be halted after 10 years as long as he complies, completes probation and doesn’t commit other crimes. The teen was sentenced to community service and probation. Additionally, he was ordered to write 152 letters of apology to those affected by the fire.
Featured image by Wolfgang Kaehler/LightRocket via Getty Images.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees