This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A teen from Vancouver, Washington, who started a major wildfire in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon has been ordered to pay restitution over the next decade in the amount of $37 million.
In order to cover the costs of firefighting, repair and restoration to the tourist area of the gorge and damages to local homes, a judge ordered the teen to pay $36,618,330.24, according to The Oregonian. The judge acknowledged that the teen would likely never pay the sum in full. Victims of the wildfire included Union Pacific Railroad, Oregon Department of Transportation, US Forest Service as well as a number of other entities. State law allows Oregon to garnishee the teen’s bank accounts or paychecks. Oregon is also allowed to take the teen’s winnings if he wins the lottery; the state can also collect his refunds on tax returns.
In court, the 15-year-old pleaded guilty to reckless burning of public and private property as well as other charges including throwing two fireworks in Eagle Creek Canyon. The resulting wildfire burned 75 square miles of forest, hiking trails, a major interstate highway and devastated an outdoor tourist attraction.
The judge said that the teen can set up a payment plan to chip away at the $37 million fine; payments can be halted after 10 years as long as he complies, completes probation and doesn’t commit other crimes. The teen was sentenced to community service and probation. Additionally, he was ordered to write 152 letters of apology to those affected by the fire.
Featured image by Wolfgang Kaehler/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees