Taste the World’s Grossest Cuisines at This Disgusting New Museum
Take a vacation, and your friends and family will assume your itinerary includes at least a few amazing meals. But intentionally planning a trip around some of the world’s worst cuisine? That’s a new one.
At the Disgusting Food Museum, which opened on Thursday in Malmö, Sweden, curators collect the most bizarre, sometimes stomach-churning foods on Earth.
Promising to have 80 of the world’s most curious cuisines, the museum certainly delivers. Among the exhibits you’ll find cuy (roasted guinea pig from Peru), hákarl (Icelandic fermented shark), durian (the ridiculously stinky fruit from Thailand) and the world’s stinkiest cheese. There’s even a display of kopi luwak: coffee cherries consumed and defecated by civet cats in Indonesia, East Timor and other Southeast Asian nations.
Many of the exhibits are interactive, inviting guests to touch the food, aside from simply smelling or tasting it.
Dr. Samuel West, the psychologist, curator and “chief disgustologist” responsible for this intentionally gross museum, told Metro that surströmming, or fermented Baltic Sea herring, was almost too much for him to bear. “We tested it, and tested it and were almost kicked out of our current office space because of the smell. I think we’ve got it solved, but I’m not sure. It’s one of those things that keeps me awake at night,” he said.
Of course, the museum aims to do more than make visitors nauseous. “What we find disgusting has to be learned — it’s purely cultural,” West told CNN. That’s why root beer and a Jell-O salad occupy displays in the odious gallery of unpalatable foods. Though they may seem fine, even delicious to some Americans, these items are simply repellent elsewhere.
Ready to be revolted? Brave children can get into the museum for free, but adults will have to fork over 185 Swedish Krona (about $20) for the experience. The museum also hosts outdoor tastings of the infamous fermented herring, shark and durian Wednesday through Sunday, and team tastings can be arranged for a premium. (Talk about group bonding!) And, yes, you can bet your weight in stinky cheese that there’s a gift shop stocked with some, well, unusual food items.
The museum is open until Jan. 27, after which West hopes to take the ghastly grub on tour to other cities.
Featured photo via Disgusting Food Museum on Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees