Targeted: Get complimentary Hertz President’s Circle membership with Amex cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Several TPG staffers awoke this morning to discover an offer from Hertz for a complimentary promotion to its top-level elite status.
Here’s what you need to know.
You’ll receive a complimentary upgrade to President’s Circle, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards top-tier program, when you register and complete a $250 rental using an eligible American Express Card by New Year’s Eve. You’ll get six months of elite status, but note that the upgrade will take 48 hours. This promotion appears to be targeted, as you need a unique code to register, so make sure to check your email. Note that the offer is for mid-size car classes and higher. I received this offer on the American Express® Green Card, which recently got a much-needed refresh on bonus categories as well as annual statement credits.
The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is free to join, and after enrollment, you’ll have entry-level Gold status. You’ll earn 1X for every dollar you spend on rentals and accessories — excluding taxes, fees and surcharges. Joining the program also allows you to skip the counter both for picking up your car and dropping off your vehicle.
The first level of elite status is Five Star, which requires 12 car rentals or spending $2,400 in a calendar year. President’s Circle offers confirmed one-car-class upgrades, 1.5 points per dollar spent and valet service at participating locations (up to four times per year).
President’s Circle requires 20 car rentals (or spending $4,000 or more) in a calendar year, so completing a $250 rental seems like a much easier way to achieve elite status, which you’ll keep for six months.
If you take advantage of the offer, note that Hertz devalued its Gold Plus Rewards program in May without notice, with a new award chart for rentals in the U.S. While some rentals within the United States now cost around 11% more (like a one-day rental rising from 675 points to 750 points), discounted weekend awards have vanished entirely and select specialty vehicle redemptions now cost over 70% more, as TPG’s Darren Murph reported earlier this summer.
And that wasn’t the end of the bad news, either. The car company also changed the window for points expiration from 24 months to 18 months earlier this year without prior notice.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.