Some cardholders targeted with 25,000-point Amex Platinum upgrade offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some American Express® Gold Cardholders are being targeted for a 25,000-point upgrade offer for The Platinum Card® from American Express after spending $2,000 in the first three months, according to Doctor of Credit.
For more credit card news and advice, sign up for our daily TPG newsletter.
But is this upgrade offer something you should really consider?
If you’ve never had the Amex Platinum, you should strongly consider passing up this offer. American Express has a once-per-card-per-lifetime bonus restriction, which means you only get one chance to earn a sign-up bonus for each of Amex’s products. If you choose to upgrade using this bonus offer now, you’ll never be able to earn the bonus for the Amex Platinum ever again in the future.
Considering the Amex Platinum currently offers 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership (not to mention the 100,000 points after the same spending requirement you could get through a targeted Cardmatch offer, offer subject to change at any time), 25,000 points to upgrade is a low offer. Taking this upgrade offer could end with you leaving up to $1,500 in value on the table, according to TPG valuations.
The Amex Platinum is one of the top travel rewards credit cards, with a suite of luxury benefits and a high annual fee to match. Part of the appeal of the Amex Platinum comes in the form of the welcome bonus. The $1,500 value that you earn by hitting the bonus your first year helps take the sting out of the $550 annual fee (see rates and fees).
Related: Who should get the Amex Platinum?
However, there is one circumstance where taking this upgrade offer is a great option — if you’ve already had the Amex Platinum in the past.
For those who are now ineligible for the standard bonus, an opportunity to upgrade to the Amex Platinum for 25,000 points certain beats not getting any sort of bonus by applying outright. Of course, if you’re ineligible for the standard bonus, there’s no guarantee that this offer will be targeted to you. But if you do happen to be among those with the offer on their account, it could be worth considering.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Platinum Card, please click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees