Switzerland’s Famous Cliffside Restaurant Just Reopened for the Season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Would you make the trek to the remote region of Alpenzell to eat at one of Switzerland’s most iconic restaurants?
If you said yes, you’re not alone. Äscher Restaurant — famous for its stunning cliffside location in the Swiss Alps — opened for the summer season on Tuesday, May 14 after a slight weather delay. And you can bet it’s going to be busy.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
According to The Local, “The Äscher’s managers warned that one of the hiking routes up to the restaurant (via Blättli and Alp Bommen) remains closed because of an elevated avalanche risk.” Some of the other paths are still snow-covered, but remain open.
The remote restaurant is about 60 miles from Zurich and is built right into the side of a cliff. You can either hike about three hours, past Seealpsee lake and up a rocky path that leads to the Elbenalp, or take a cable car up the mountain and then walk down about 20 minutes through a prehistoric cave and a 400-year-old church. Intrepid travelers who make the trek are rewarded with jaw-dropping panoramic views of the Alps and valleys below.
But there’s concern that the 170-year-old restaurant has become a victim of its own success, as it has struggled to handle the large numbers of tourists who visit. It first rose to prominence in 2014, when it was named one of the five most interesting restaurants in the world by the Huffington Post. Then, in 2015, it was featured on the cover of the book “Destinations of a Lifetime” published by National Geographic. Reviews on TripAdvisor rave about the incredible setting and the delicious food, but warn that the restaurant can get very busy.
The Äscher’s previous managers, Nicole and Bernhard Knechtle-Fritsche, threw in the towel at the end of the 2018 season because the restaurant became too difficult to manage. “There are constant shortages in terms of space requirements and water and electricity supply, which could intensify in [the] future,” they said in a statement.
There used to be an inn with a few guest rooms attached to the restaurant, but it shut down last year. If you’re hoping to see this incredible place, you might want to go sooner rather than later, as its future is uncertain.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees