SWISS Launching Nonstop Flights from Zurich to Washington DC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
SWISS International Air Lines announced that the airline will add two new cities to its route network early next year. Beginning in the first quarter of 2020, SWISS will launch nonstop flights from the airline’s hub in Zurich (ZRH) to Washington DC (IAD) and Osaka, Japan (KIX).
These new routes will be made possible with the arrival of two new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. SWISS will shift smaller aircraft to its new routes while upgrading the airline’s existing service to Miami and Tokyo.
Service to Miami is currently operated with the Airbus A330 while Tokyo is served with the Airbus A340. In a press release, SWISS noted it will be adding year-round 777-300ER service to Miami and Tokyo due to increased demand in both passenger traffic and cargo. “As The Airline of Switzerland, we connect our home country with the world’s key economic, societal and tourist destinations,” SWISS CEO Thomas Klühr stated.
SWISS New Route Details
Zurich (ZRH) to Osaka (KIX)
- Service begins March 1, 2020
- Operates 5x per week
- Aircraft: Airbus A340
Zurich (ZRH) to Washington DC (IAD)
- Service begins March 29, 2020
- Operates daily
- Aircraft: Airbus A330
SWISS Routes Receiving Upgauged Aircraft
Zurich (ZRH) to Tokyo-Narita (NRT)
- 777-300ER Service begins February 2, 2020
- Operates daily
Zurich (ZRH) to Miami (MIA)
- 777-300ER Service begins in Summer 2020
- Operates daily
How To Fly SWISS’ New and Upgauged Flights
SWISS is a Star Alliance member, allowing members of partner airline frequent flyer programs to redeem points or miles for the airline’s flights. United MileagePlus, Air Canada Aeroplan, and Lufthansa Miles & More are just a few Star Alliance programs through which SWISS flights can be booked.
SWISS has already loaded the airline’s Boeing 777-300ER flights from Zurich to Tokyo. However, the airline’s new service and upguaged flights to Miami have yet to be added to the airline’s schedule. This means that travelers looking to book SWISS’ new nonstop flights to Washington DC or Osaka will have to wait.
If you’re hoping to score a seat in first class on SWISS, you’ll likely be out of luck. Unless you are a Miles & More Senator or HON Circle elite frequent-flyer, SWISS first class award flights are off-limits. Fortunately, while often hard to find, nonelite frequent flyers can book SWISS business class. Of course, economy class is your best bet when SWISS’ new flights are loaded into the airline’s schedule.
Related: SWISS First Class Review
Here’s how many United MileagePlus miles you’ll need to book a one-way ticket from Washington DC to Zurich when flights go on sale:
- Business Class: 70,000 miles
- Economy Class: 30,000 miles
SWISS offers a fantastic onboard product not only in first and business class but also in economy. Additionally, Zurich offers a number of connecting flights to destinations throughout Europe. As a Star Alliance member, US-based flyers can book SWISS’ new flights to Washington DC and upgauged 777-300ER flights to Miami using United MileagePlus miles. While SWISS’ new flights have not been loaded into the airline’s schedule just yet, the new routes will likely be available later this year.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees