Strong Plane De-Icing Fumes Send 10 Passengers to the Hospital
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Strong fumes on-board Air Transat 782 forced officials to evacuate 185 passengers Thursday morning, just minutes before takeoff from Quebec City Airport (YQB). Ten passengers were taken to nearby hospitals for related symptoms including vomiting, dizziness and sore eyes.
The fumes had wafted into the plane’s ventilation system during the de-icing process, according to an Air Transat spokesperson. After several passengers complained of feeling faint, airport firefighters were called, and all passengers returned to the terminal.
“For the moment, we are talking about a problem with the ventilation system during the de-icing of the aircraft,” said Jean Lesage International Airport spokeswoman Laurianne Lapierre. “The airline is leading its own investigation to determine the source of the problem.”
Bryan Gelinas, speaking on behalf of the entity that oversees five hospitals in the capital region said there were “no serious cases” amongst the hospitalized travelers, but declined to provide additional details on the passengers’ condition.
Lapierre also said that preliminary readings after the evacuation found the cabin air to be safe, according to the firefighters’ readings. Despite the findings, the airline opted instead to deploy a Boeing 737-800 from Toronto to transport the healthy passengers to their destination. The airline typically utilizes an Airbus 321 for the weekly flight between Quebec City and Fort Lauderdale. Flight 782 arrived in Fort Lauderdale 12 hours and 35 minutes late, according to FlightAware.
Featured photo courtesy of Air Transat.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.