Stalled start-up California Pacific Airlines wants to restart flights
Southern California-based California Pacific Airlines hopes to resume flying soon, more than a year after the start-up’s short-lived first launch.
Based at McClellan-Palomar Airport (CLD) about halfway between Orange County and San Diego, the carrier has filed the initial paperwork with the U.S. Department of Transportation to resume flying. PaxEx.aero first reported the filing.
“Yes, yes we are planning to resume service. Definitely!” California Pacific founder Ted Vallas told PaxEx.aero.
The start-up carrier briefly carried passengers on flights between Carlsbad and Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Reno (RNO), and San Jose (SJC) in California with 50-seat Embraer ERJ-145 jets in November and December 2018. While it stopped flying in December, it officially ceased operations in January 2019.
California Pacific was in the works for years before its brief period in operation. Originally envisioned as an Embraer E-Jet operator with its first E170 arriving in 2012, the airline’s attempt to secure an operating certificate met repeated delays prompting the return of the jet and ultimate decision to acquire Aerodynamics in late 2017 and begin using operations using that outfit’s certificate.
California Pacific has long pitched itself as an alternative to Southern California travelers who want to avoid potentially lengthy drives to either Orange County’s John Wayne Airport (SNA) or San Diego International Airport (SAN). A proposed map in 2012 shows flights to major Western cities, including Las Vegas, Phoenix and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Featured image by Mark Boster/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees