Spirit Airlines Brings Self-Service Bag Drop to Las Vegas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Those recovering from a little too much fun in Sin City will have one fewer person to deal with at the airport — if they’re flying Spirit.
The ultra low-cost carrier rolled out self-service bag drop stations at the McCarran International Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas as it continues to expand its footprint there.
“Our growth and investment in Las Vegas has been an ongoing mission for Spirit Airlines,” Mike Byrom, the company’s vice president of airport services said in a statement. He added that the new machines are a way to improve the travel experience for all Spirit passengers at the airport. (Which is as bare-bones as it gets, in the air as well.)
Passengers who want to use the machines will be able to pay for and tag their own bags at airport kiosks, and then scan their identification and drop the luggage at automated conveyor belts.
Passengers who still wish to use traditional, staffed bag-drop stations will still have that option.
According to Spirit, such systems are already common in Europe and the airline said it gives travelers more control over their experience.
The airport’s partnership with Spirit on this initiative is the first time automated bag drop stations will be available at LAS, but an airport spokesman said in a statement that he hopes to see the service expanded in the future.
- Everything You Should Know Before Flying Spirit Airlines
- Six Tips for Flying Spirit Airlines With a Family
- Is the Spirit Big Front Seat Worth It?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees