Spirit Airlines donates $250,000 in airline travel to social justice organizations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s easy to give ultra-low-cost carrier Spirit Airlines a hard time about its nickel-and-dime approach to flying. But when it comes to supporting the communities it serves, and the increasingly crucial Black Lives Matter movement, Spirit is ponying up in a big way.
The airline has announced it will be donating $250,000 in air travel across nine organizations dedicated to the pursuit of social justice and civil rights in cities where the company operates.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
“At Spirit, we promote diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging and strongly support the Black community, because Black lives matter,” said SVP and chief human resources officer at Spirit Airlines and president of The Spirit Airlines Charitable Foundation, Laurie Villa. “It is our commitment to continue to make a difference in the communities where we live and work.”
Those organizations include the Urban League of Broward County in Fort Lauderdale; the Urban League of Detroit and Southeastern Michigan; the Dallas Black Chamber of Commerce; the NAACP Las Vegas; the Thurgood Marshall College Fund in New York; the Common Ground Foundation in Chicago; Orlando’s African American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida; and the National Council of Negro Women and National Black Chamber of Commerce, both in Washington, D.C.
“During these challenging and uncertain times, we applaud Spirit for stepping up to strengthen our long-standing efforts to advance racial equity and social justice in our community,” said Dr. Germaine Smith-Baugh, president and CEO of The Urban League of Broward County.
TPG’s Edward Russell notes that the airline has not been immune from the pandemic, which has stalled the recovery of air travel across the U.S. The South Florida-based airline operated an average of 380 daily flights in August, Spirit CEO Ted Christie told staff in a July 15 internal memo viewed by TPG. This was down from previous plans that Cirium schedule data shows was around an average of 403 flights a day.
The airline did not outline how the money would be distributed across each organization in its statement, but with such notoriously low fares, these groups should have air travel covered for at least a while. (TPG has reached out to Spirit for comment and will update this post with any additional information.)
Here at TPG, we unequivocally support the pursuit of civil rights. Read more about our commitment to fighting for racial equality both in the world and in our own offices.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees