This Space Hotel Says It Will Be Open for Business by 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Grab three of your closest friends because in just three short years you’ll (allegedly) be able to see the world from a different perspective at the first ever luxury space hotel, the Aurora Station. The company is projected to launch in 2021, with its first guest-accompanied trip in 2022. If you’re used to flying at 35,000 feet, get ready to test the air at a height of 200 miles (1,056,000 feet) above the Earth’s surface.
A trip on the Aurora Station will host six people, including two crew members, in its 12×35-foot confines, and tour for 12 days. The best part? It’ll only cost you a cool $9.5 million.
To prep, travelers will undergo an included three-month training course — condensed from the historical 12-month period — where travelers will learn about spacecraft systems, contingency training and weightlessness practice.
Throughout the 12-day stay, the not-quite-astronauts will be given an experience that resembles home on Earth with a few added quirks, like space suites and zero-gravity. Like any decent hotel, this one will have high-speed Internet access so that you can still phone home.
It seems that the Aurora Station has the customer experience at the forefront of its mind as well: “With customizable private sleeping pods, top-quality space food and luxury design details, Aurora Station is ushering in a new era of space travel, setting the bar higher than ever before,” says Frank Bunger, CEO and founder of Orion Span.
The overall experience will consist of a zero-gravity environment. The station will orbit the Earth every 90 minutes, providing views of 16 sunrises and sunsets every 24 hours. But the views aren’t the only selling point of the endeavor. Travelers will be able to partake in other activities, like conducting experimental research, flying over their hometown and playing zero-gravity pingpong.
So, are you sold yet?
H/T: CNN Travel
Featured image by Orion Span
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.